Join Our Team of Safety Professionals
Safety Management Group is a nationally recognized professional service organization that provides workplace safety consulting, training, staffing, program planning, and implementation. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending, 401k with employer matching, paid holidays, Life and Disability Insurance, and additional supplemental products.
Safety Management Group is seeking a Safety, Health, and Environmental Management (SHEM) Tech in Mt. Vernon, IN
The key function of a SHEM Tech is to oversee and facilitate health, safety, and environmental activities, to drive EHSS and SHEMS compliance for business units, using audits and operational activity evaluations as indicators. Identify program gaps and engage the team to close them. Participate in incident investigations and support the evaluation and development of training for employees and contractors to ensure compliance with site EHSS programs (SHEMS). Communicate learnings from incidents and track required actions, findings, and closure activities. Provide interface with site EHSS & Business Unit teams.
Overview of Job Responsibilities:
• Work with leadership to drive EHSS/SHEMS compliance in the unit
• Perform unit self-assessments and participate in site SHEMS internal external audits and follow up
• Evaluate and contribute to EHSS training and awareness programs for employees and contractors to increase knowledge of EHSS standards and reduce risk
• Take an active role in unit safety committee and ensure appropriate visibility to EHSS issues
• Track recommendations from safety initiatives (walkthroughs, investigations, audits) and monitor progress to ensure closure actions align with the recommendations
• Serve as a resource to the unit for SHEMS and applicable EHSS standards
• Support leadership to ensure incidents are properly reported and investigated
• Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety & Health, General Industry, Construction, Engineering or related field preferred but not required (related/comparable work experience)
• Minimum experience 2 years in a General Industry or Industrial environment
• Experience with 29 CFR 1926, 1910, 1904 including field audit experience
• Experience with Safety Training and Mentoring of work associates
• Knowledge in rigging, scaffolding, fall protection, crane use, LOTO, Confined Space & PIT
Required to work M-F 40 hours per week on the site, observing client holiday schedule. Turn-around/mini outages hours may include extended work schedule/shifts.
Physical Demands of the job may include:
• Moving about long distances
• Ascending/Descending stairs and ladders
• Remaining in a stationary position for a prolonged period of time
• Working in extreme weather
• Being exposed to loud noises
• Wearing personal protective gear correctly
Safety Management Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.