Application Testing Scientist / Engineer
Located in Peoria, Illinois, Natural Fiber Welding, Inc. (NFW) produces a scalable and sustainable universe of peerless high-performance materials created from abundant natural sources. NFW is driven by an entrepreneurial spirit, innovative ideas, and the desire to commercialize new products from nature and is composed of a team of scientists, engineers, and business leaders that are inspired to impact the world. We are looking for exceptional talent who can contribute to our exciting and fast-paced, rapidly growing organization.
We are seeking a results driven candidate who is a self-starter and a creative problem solver, with the ability to work closely with product development, business teams and NFW customers and help bring new products to the market across a wide set of markets and applications. This role will be key to develop our testing expertise across different applications and support the fast growth of our Mirum™ product line.
What you would do / Key Responsibilities include:
- Lead and be a key player in new product development and launch activities and support the extension of the Mirum product line in close collaboration with strategic customers.
- Design/develop and execute laboratory validation tests for NFW’s Mirum product line (plant based leather alternative).
- Help develop NFW proprietary as well as adapt industry standard (ASTM, ISO, DIN, AATCC) tests to validate performance across a wide set of potential applications such as accessories, footwear, automotive etc....
- Establish standard procedures along with expected values and tolerances for production materials.
- Work with the product development team, the QC lab, the procurement team and selected customers to identify appropriate tests for incoming materials, in-process products, and finished products.
- Develop new standard lab tests: design/procure equipment and create procedures. Spec out, get quotes for, and be involved in purchasing new test equipment.
- Train/supervise interns and technicians as needed.
- Execute standard lab tests: document results and provide conclusions & recommendations
What you bring / Minimum Qualifications include:
- Required, Bachelor's degree (chemistry, engineering, material science), preferred Master’s or PhD degree.
- Preferred, previous product development / commercialization, application testing or quality lab experience and technical document creation experience
- Preferred experience in one of more of the following applications: leather and leather alternatives, coatings, footwear, upholstery, automotive, accessories.
- Outstanding communicator and presentation skills, excellent interpersonal and analytical skills
- A start-up mentality as well as the ability to wear multiple hats
- Fluency in office productivity tools and project management
- Attention to detail
- Works well with others
- Statistical experiment planning and data analysis experience is a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Frequent talking, hearing and seeing
- Frequent using of hands to grasp, handle, or feel
- Regular standing, walking, sitting and reaching
- Occasional lifting of up to 10 pounds
- Primarily operates in an office environment with moderate noise level
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
- Occasionally may be required to use personal protective equipment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the position.
NFW provides you with access to a telehealth benefit, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability, critical illness, accident insurance, three healthcare plan options, a discretionary 401k plan and paid vacation and sick time.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter addressing their qualifications for the position and current resume.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
NFW is an Equal Opportunity Employer.