Calyxt (Nasdaq: CLXT) is a plant-based synthetic biotechnology company. The Company leverages its proprietary PlantSpring™ technology platform to engineer innovative materials and products for its customers to help them meet their sustainability goals. Calyxt’s diversified offerings are delivered through its proprietary BioFactory™ manufacturing process. For more information, visit www.calyxt.com.
PlantSpring, BioFactory and the Calyxt logo are trademarks of Calyxt, Inc.
In a world seeking to evolve to more sustainable solutions that protect water and soil resources and do not contribute to carbon pollution, plants are uniquely capable of producing compounds that cannot be produced through other means. Our team has more than a decade of experience in engineering plant metabolism with a proven capability to convert concepts into products. We are looking for talented individuals who want to join our work to innovate and lead a positive change across industries using the power of plants.
Calyxt is seeking a highly motivated and result-oriented scientist to join our innovative plant-based technology R&D organization. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to work in a team environment and interact with experts in biochemistry, analytical chemistry, molecular biology, genome engineering, plant transformation, bioinformatics, data science, product development, and business development teams. The individual will be responsible to design and execute on experiments for biochemical pathway discovery and characterization of natural products. They will have a unique opportunity to work with cross-functional teams as Calyxt products progress through the R&D pipeline, comply with product development requirements, and are brought to commercialization, with responsibilities spanning from natural product discovery to validation of products.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design and execute on experiments for biochemical pathway discovery and natural product characterization including cross-functional multi-omics data collection and data analysis.
• Lead development and validation of analytical biochemistry techniques used to detect, quantify, and characterize target metabolites and write new SOPs.
• Independently perform analytical and biochemical methods assessing novel biological compounds from detection using LC-MS, GC-MS, and HPLC through to compound elucidation via prep-HPLC/flash chromatography and NMR
• Work cross-functionally to understand business needs and continually improve plant natural product analytical methods, data analysis, documentation, and reporting.
• Stay current with new technologies and methodologies through evaluation of literature and by participation in relevant societies, trainings, and conferences.
• Accurately document all experimental procedures and results in a lab notebook and LIMS.
• Maintain an organized and safe laboratory working environment.
• Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Plant Sciences or other related majors OR Master’s Degree with 5+ years of industry experience working in the natural product space.
• Minimum 2 years of post-graduate experience working in analytical biochemistry and/or biochemical tool development, preferably in plant biotechnology, natural product, or pharmaceutical biotechnology industry.
• Hands-on experience in natural product discovery, extraction, purification, and characterization techniques including prep-HPLC/ flash chromatography and collection/interpretation of NMR spectra
• Broad experience with multiple analytical instruments and techniques including LC-MS, GC-MS, and HPLC for detection, identification, and quantification of sample composition.
• Demonstrated ability to perform method development and validation according to industry standards.
• Experience with routine calibration and maintenance of analytical instruments.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment to achieve project goals.
• 3+ years of biotechnology industry lab experience.
• Experience in extraction and purification of small molecules from diverse plant tissues.
• Demonstrated ability to carry out multi-step syntheses and modifications of natural products in support of biochemical discovery and characterization efforts.
• Experience in plant metabolism and plant metabolomics is strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of chemical analysis software packages & advanced data analysis pipelines.
• Familiarity with chemical informatics and biochemical pathway discovery.