City of Pontiac
Community Concerns Specialist
FLSA: Administrative non-exempt
Summary: The Community Concerns Specialist will oversee and administrate a comprehensive customer relations management system for the city, ensuring its thorough implementation through each department at City Hall. The manager will also ensure the city is providing the highest level of customer service to community members through in-person relations, correspondence, and ongoing services. The manager will provide skilled support and aid, to customer service representatives throughout city hall (each department has a designated customer support liaison with which the Community Concerns Specialist will communicate). This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The City of Pontiac is an at-will and equal opportunity employer.
Supervision Received: Works independently under the broad general supervision of the Mayor/Deputy Mayor
· City Hall
· Has regular, daily contact with personnel, and residents answering questions and solving problems.
· Has access to public information files in the computer systems.
· Errors could result in damage to or loss of information resulting in legal consequences to the City.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position:
• Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the customer service work plan; assign work activities, projects, and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
• Identify, implement, and administrate comprehensive management technology for resident and community member complaints and issues across the city.
• Establish, implement, and monitor customer service benchmarks to ensure activities are consistent with the mission of the city.
• Develop best practice procedures for all departments regarding customer relations while interfacing with the general public, including in-take and follow-up actions.
• Receive and respond to complex and/or sensitive customer service issues.
• Provide occasional support for customer service representatives across city hall.
• Research and prepare technical and administrative reports.
• Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
• A combination of training, education, and/or experience equivalent to HS graduation or GED.
• 2+ years experience working in a high-level administrative support capacity with similar responsibility including office or office management experience.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and experience and/or training in additional computer applications (example: database management, spreadsheets, desktop publishing, etc.)
• BA in English, Communications, Business, or related field.
• Spanish language skills.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
• Passion for serving City of Pontiac residents, businesses, and community members.
• Principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building, and conflict resolution.
• Operate and use modern office technology, including applicable software.
• Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Attention to detail, ability to handle a variety of tasks, and confidential matters.
• Ability to lead, motivate, and administrate volunteers.
• Strong interpersonal skills, sound judgment, flexibility, and resourcefulness.
• Developing knowledge of municipal government, including department operations and issues important to residents.
• Proven written and oral communications skills.
• Self-motivated and driven with excellent problem-solving skills.
• Good organizational and time-management skills.
• Ability to work remotely and independently without supervision.
• Spanish language skills preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Minimal physical effort is required to perform work under typical office conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and stand; must regularly lift and or move items up to ten pounds, frequently lift items up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift or move items up to 50 pounds; be able to clearly hear constituents when speaking in person or on the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.