Reporting to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction, the Literacy Specialist supports K-3 teachers in delivering effective literacy instruction with fidelity to Ascent’s literacy curriculum. The ideal candidate is a master teacher with experience coaching and mentoring staff in explicit phonics instruction. The Literacy Specialist will complete both routine tasks (teacher observations and debriefings, coordinating and administering literacy assessments, etc.) and larger projects of the corporate curriculum and instruction team, and be responsible for the following:
- Continuously evaluate, recommend improvements of, and facilitate initial and ongoing training of Ascent Classical Academies K-3 literacy program for teachers, school leaders, and instructional coaches.
- Provide ongoing formal and informal observations, co-teaching, modeling, and coaching of K-3 literacy teaching.
- Provide guidance and support to site-level instructional coaches interfacing with literacy instruction.
- Provide actionable feedback/reports of literacy curriculum & instructional effectiveness to teachers, school leaders, corporate leadership, and school board.
- Attend weekly curriculum and instruction team meetings to identify/resolve challenges, provide updates, track academic data, and initiate/prioritize projects.
- Maintain literacy components of curricular bill of materials, supply lists, and academic program guide.
- Remain up to date on training and research regarding evidence-based literacy curricula and instructional approaches.
- Remain flexible to support projects and processes of the Curriculum and Instruction team.
- As needed, support literacy instructional coaches at sister campus with regular communication and guidance.
About Ascent Classical Academies
Ascent Classical Academies is a growing K-12 classical school network based in Colorado. Our schools offer an American Classical Education based on the Core Knowledge framework and scope and sequence developed by the Barney Charter School Initiative of Hillsdale College. Ascent Classical schools currently serve approximately 1,500 students in K-12 campuses located in the Denver and Fort Collins areas of Colorado, with significant expansion planned throughout Colorado and beyond. Our schools offer a well-rounded liberal arts and classical education grounded in virtue and supporting the ideas and philosophy behind the American Founding.
Desired Start Date: August 1, 2022
Employment Type and Schedule: Exempt Full-time, approximately 195 workdays per year with reduced responsibilities in June/July
Location: Lone Tree, Colorado
Base Salary Range: $48,000 to $54,000
- Employee coverage for group medical, dental, and vision plan; dependent coverage available
- Health savings account with employer contributions
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance plans
- Retirement investment account with employer match
- Paid time off
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Free employee benefit and healthcare guidance through HealthJoy
All employees at Ascent Classical Academies are responsible for modeling the intellectual and moral atmosphere of the company and affiliated schools, with strong character, passion for excellence and a relentless commitment to the development of virtue in young people.
- Three or more years of ELA teaching experience
- ELL experience strongly preferred
- Master’s degree in teaching, curriculum and instruction, or related strongly preferred
- Experience coaching teachers in ELA instruction
- Demonstrated ability to implement instructional strategies that enhance student learning
- Experience evaluating and recommending K-12 literacy curriculum preferred
- Familiarity with CO state ELA standards, assessments, and law impacting K-12 literacy curriculum and instruction
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- Post-offer, satisfactory background check as required by state law and Colorado Department of Education
- Conviction in the values of a rigorous liberal arts education
- Alignment with ACA’s mission and vision
- Commitment to model moral character in line with the school’s core virtues and the pursuit of the Good, True, and Beautiful
- Adherence to all ACA policies, including but not limited to the Employee Handbook, Family Handbook, and all applicable school and board policies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and problem-solving abilities
- Willingness to continually learn and to empower colleagues
- Demonstrated team player
- High level of professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment