About the Organization
Canal Alliance is a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment. We believe everyone has the right to achieve their dreams. Every day, we educate, empower, support, and partner with motivated immigrants to best meet all their unique needs—from putting food on the table, to becoming American citizens, to learning English, to graduating from college. Because when we support immigrants, Marin becomes a place where everyone can live, work, and succeed.
Canal Alliance University Prep (UP!) is a college readiness and success program designed to support students in their journey to enroll in and graduate from a 4 year university.
The Middle School Math & Science Tutor collaborates with a team of professionals to provide wrap-around support for approximately 45 youth on their path toward college completion. A successful candidate will be a passionate believer in the power of education to improve the lives of immigrant youth and their families.
Specifically, the Math & Science Tutor is responsible for providing 1 on 1 or small group tutoring, student progress monitoring, and goal setting. Candidates should have the ability to work Mondays 5:30-7:45pm, Tuesdays 4:30-7:45pm, Wednesdays 3:30-7:45pm and Thursdays 3:15-6:30pm (13 hrs/wk).
Ability to work in person is highly preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide tutoring in high school math and science
· Maintain tutoring session notes using Salesforce
· Assess student learning and monitor progress
· Conduct regular goal setting meetings with students
· Modify instructional program of individual students based on student data
· Build positive and respectful relationships with students
· Communicate consistently and assist in identifying needs of students
· Participate in a weekly staff meeting
· Perform other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills and abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.
· Effective tutoring skills
· Ability to identify gaps in learning, and adjust teaching to meet student needs
· Strong content knowledge in Algebra 2, Geometry, Chemistry and Physics
· Ability to effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing
· Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with staff, students, and volunteers
· Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
Education and Experience Requirements
· Minimum 1 year middle or high school tutoring/teaching experience
· Bachelor’s Degree, or working towards a degree
· Computer literacy
· Experience working with Latino, immigrant or low income communities (preferred)
· Experience working with English language learners (preferred)
Starting at $30 an hour. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect.
Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principles.