Lynker is seeking a full-time, (Tuesday-Saturday) position to coordinate a 60-person volunteer team and public educational programming at the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Exploration Center in Santa Cruz.
Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS) is one of the nation’s largest marine protected areas encompassing more than 6,000 square miles of central California coastal waters containing a rich array of habitats and marine life. The Sanctuary program provides protection of these natural resources through research and education to foster public understanding and stewardship of this nationally significant marine area.
MBNMS opened a state-of-the-art Exploration Center in 2012 to educate and outreach to the local community and visitors to the Santa Cruz area. The goals of the Sanctuary Exploration Center are to educate visitors about the sanctuary’s unique and fascinating coastal marine environment and to encourage stewardship of the sanctuary and a better understanding of how to responsibly enjoy and protect the ocean.
As a volunteer coordinator/education specialist, your primary responsibilities are to work as a team player with Exploration Center staff, prioritize work, meet deadlines as assigned and provide all aspects of volunteer coordination and program coordination to support MBNMS.
- Train and educate visitor center volunteers and interpretive docents to prepare them for duty at the Sanctuary Exploration Center in accordance with NOAA volunteer protocols and guidelines.
- Market to the local communities to encourage docent sign ups and implement a successful docent training and retention program.
- Coordinate docent enrichment, appreciation events, and organize special event days.
- Coordinate weekly or monthly public programs designed for a variety of audiences including: weekly preschool program, public art/science evenings, family science programs, and guided tours for various audience members.
- Assist with K-12th grade school programs when necessary.
- Oversee the day to day public operation of the Sanctuary Exploration Center on assigned days.
Minimum required qualifications include:
- Degree from an accredited college or university in biology or field of study relating to the specific task order and one (1) year experience in marine education or interpretive programs.
- Knowledge of marine biological sciences, sanctuary regulations and educational approaches related to environmental management and policy.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and communication skills, ability to motivate individuals, and a team focused attitude.
- Able to attend to details, effectively prioritize a variety of competing tasks under strict timelines and meet multiple deadlines and approval processes.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Mac platforms, experience with google platform.
- Graphic design for video editing skills would be preferred.
- Ability to assess problems and recommend actions and flexibility to travel locally.
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker is an E-Verify employer.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.