Temporary: This position ends November 18th.
Hourly Range: $20/hour for an average of 29 hours a week
Benefits: Health care, Health savings account
Location: Saginaw, Michigan
Michigan United is looking for a Canvass Manager to manage canvassers who are participating in a canvassing program focusing on voting and the 2022 elections. Canvassers will be Southeastern Michigan focused to help voters understand major conflicts in society in more unifying ways and unpacking worldviews that often keep us divided and fearful. As the election cycle progresses, canvassers will work with our sister organization, Michigan People's Campaign, to talk with voters about member-endorsed candidates in local races.
As the Canvass Manager, you will be responsible for managing the canvass team members and supporting volunteers. The Canvass Lead will manage lists, ensure that data is correct and reported, and lead team training, debriefs, and reflections. You may also participate in certain special organizational events throughout the state as determined by your manager.
- Manage ten or more person canvass team;
- Participate in training to learn the canvass model and scripts;
- Canvass with targeted voters in late afternoon-early evening;
- Have multiple door canvass conversations per shift;
- Ensure that conversations are tracked in VAN [voter database];
- Ensure that timesheets are submitted by team members on biweekly basis;
- Debrief on a daily basis with the Movement Politics Director, Canvass Team and Organizers.
- Verifying and approving hours for compliance and accuracy
- Volunteer management experience.
- Organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent listening and communication skills. Empathetic and motivational.
- Capacity to listen without judgment.
- Some campaign and/or field organizing experience.
- Experience using VAN and knowledge of Google Docs & Google Sheets and/or Microsoft Word & Excel
- Ability to coach new canvassers
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19
- Working hours will begin as being roughly Tuesday-Saturday 10:00AM - 7:00PM, with a break for lunch.There is room for some flexibility in the schedule, but modifications should be established in advance with your manager.
- Ability to stand/walk for multiple hours daily
- Serious about achieving both qualitative and quantitative goals.
- Smartphone and familiarity with smartphone functionality
- Reliable daily transportation
- Stipends: Cell phone stipend of $300 annualized per year and Internet stipend of $450 annualized per year
- An hour (1) of sick time is accrued for every 29 hours worked and COVID sick time is offered
- Office & field environment with moderate amounts of standing, walking, climbing stairs, ability to lift 25 lbs
- Normal business hours, some additional hours required with occasional weekend activities. Hours may expand closer to the election
- Submit resume and two references (one work related, one personal)
- Please submit all application materials using this link, if you’re unable to upload documents please email the materials to email@example.com
Michigan United is a statewide organization of community members and institutions fighting for economic and racial justice. We use the tools of community organizing, leadership training, advocacy, media work, and civic engagement to run strategic campaigns that win real change in communities of color, immigrants, working families, and the low-income. We're committed to winning a better world for marginalized communities.
We are the largest community organizing group in the state, with offices in Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Flint. Our membership consists of individuals and over 125 member institutions.
Michigan United organizes along the following issue areas: immigrants’ rights, criminal justice reform, environmental justice, universal family care (including health, child care, elder care, and paid sick time), voter rights, housing, workers rights, and civic engagement. We work to build the capacity of community members who are directly impacted by these issues to lead and win concrete reforms that will change their own lives and shift the balance of power in our state.
Michigan United, along with Michigan People’s Campaign, our affiliated 501(c)(4), is serious about building long-term, political power with the aim of transforming our political and economic system into one that puts people and the planet first. As a racial and economic justice organization, we actively encourage individuals who are underrepresented on the basis of race, ethnicity, income, and sexual orientation, as well as those who share the life experiences of the members we serve, to apply.