TreePeople is an environmental nonprofit organization that is mobilizing people, business, philanthropists, and public agencies to work together to create green, resilient communities by planting trees, capturing the rainwater, greening schools, and providing fun environmental educational activities. We inspire, engage, and support the community to increase the urban tree canopy and address climate threats and environmental justice in Los Angeles and across the region.
TreePeople’s Forestry Programs inspire, train, and support the residents of the greater Los Angeles area as they implement community-based tree planting and tree care projects where they live, learn, work or play, thereby achieving the Forestry Department goal of 25% canopy coverage.
The Mountain Forestry Coordinator works directly with the Mountain Forestry Program Manager and the Mountain Forestry Senior Coordinators to help manage and support volunteer-based restoration programs in the Santa Monica Mountains, Angeles National Forest and other local ranges of mountains including tree plantings and tree care events through TreePeople's Mountain Forestry Program.
- Organize, manage and facilitate restoration, planting and care events, and monitor the progress at restoration sites. This includes meeting at TreePeople in Studio City, up to 4x weekly, to pick up work vehicles for each event then traveling to and from work sites (1-2.5 hours from TreePeople).
- Support program operations as needed, including project prep, event support and follow-up. Including weekly data entry which requires proficiency in G-suite and an ability to quickly learn new data entry software.
- Support the participation of volunteers in restoration projects including supervisor training, project prep and follow-up work. Be a leader in the field, with the knowledge or the ability to quickly learn plant identification, location ecology specifics, wilderness first aid.
- Assist in communication with TreePeople’s partners, USFS / Angeles National Forest, National Park Service, and others to identify, implement, survey and track restoration projects in the Angeles National Forest, and ensure partner’s needs and expectations are met.
- Other duties as assigned.
SECONDARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in TreePeople’s outreach efforts as needed.
- Support TreePeople's nursery by participating in seed collection and treatment, as well as any propagation related activity.
- Represent TreePeople at meetings and other gatherings.
1. Ability to do physical labor for a full day, including loading and unloading heavy tools onto trucks, and hiking off-trail on mountainsides.
2. Residency near and/or strong familiarity with the local ranges of mountains, their ecosystems and the communities in the surrounding area.
3. Sincere interest in the environment and the future of Southern California’s wilderness areas.
4. Must exemplify safe work practices.
5. Valid California driver’s license and clean driving record.
6. Available to work Wednesdays through Sundays.
7. Experience in volunteer organizing and project logistics.
8. Proficiency in G-suite and willingness to learn data entry platforms.
9. Proficiency in or a willingness to learn plant identification.
WAGES AND BENEFITS
Openings for one full-time and one part time position, with benefits and an exciting work environment.