The Snowmaking Manager leads the snowmaking team at Bogus Basin. Responsible for the production of man-made snow on over 75 acres of snowmaking trails. Snowmaking ensures consistent opening dates on snowmaking trails with or without natural snowfall. The snowmaking system is comprised of a 45 AF snowmaking pond, 3000 GPM pumphouse and 48 fan guns. Along with consistent opening dates snowmaking provides adequate snow coverage for grooming throughout the season and late season coverage for quality skiing and snowboarding conditions.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Operates and maintains the snowmaking system.
- Supervises the snowmaking team including hiring, training, coaching, scheduling, disciplining and terminating.
- Directs the activates of multiple shifts of snowmakers to produce snow through a variety of conditions
- Works cooperatively with the grooming team to make snow and build trails.
- Track expenditures and labor according to annual operating budget.
- Coordinates daily snowmaking activities with the Director of Mountain Operations and the Director of Slope Engineering.
- Works with Mountain Operations, Grooming, Lift Maintenance and Ski Patrol to coordinate snowmaking activities and slope safety.
- Continuously monitors snowmaking water supply to ensure coverage of all snowmaking trails.
- Makes recommendation for future snowmaking improvements.
- Completes annual maintenance on Snowmaking system, fan guns and other equipment.
- Prepares operating and capital budgets and monitors expenditures.
- Provides assessment of snowmaking system needs and cost estimates for annual capital expenditures.
Non-Essential Functions of the Job
- Checks the conditions and coverage of snow on snowmaking trails.
- Promotes safety by following safe practices and reporting any unsafe conditions or situations while on premise.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Work as part of the grooming team before or after snowmaking activities begin or end.
- Cross departmental training of groomer and snowmakers.
- 5+ years of snowmaking experience. Fan gun expertise preferred.
- Experienced leader able to supervise a team of snowmakers from novices to experienced.
- Knowledge of snowmaking techniques and practices in varying weather and temperature conditions
- Accomplished grooming machine operator able to move fan guns into place as well as build trails with man-made snow.
- Extensive knowledge of pumphouse operations and maintenance including, VFDs, pumps , valves and motors
- Knowledgeable about snow gun operations and maintenance.
- Experienced working with 480V electrical systems.
- Accomplished equipment operator including, front end loader, skid steer, dozer and backhoe or excavator.
- Experienced with Snowmaking system repairs and maintenance, including hydrants, pedestals, valves and pipeline.
- Able to follow and develop both annual labor and expense budgets as well as capital project budgets.
- Familiar with snowmaking system installation and upgrades.
- Expert snowmobile rider.
- Able to ski or snowboard any terrain or conditions.
- Employee is frequently required to stand, balance, walk and reach with hands and arms.
- Employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel or crouch.
- The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to perform essential duties efficiently and accurately, with or without reasonable accommodations and without injury to incumbent or others.
- Maintain a professional attitude toward guests and staff.
- Both indoors and outdoors.
- Position will be exposed to inclement weather.
- May be exposed to smoke, dust, fumes and odors.
- Vibration and noise are present in the work environment.
- Schedule will vary based on the needs of the department and operating hours.
When in the public eye, your personal appearance is an important part of the product we offer our guests. You should come to work neatly groomed and in uniform.
In addition to the uniform you are issued, you will be required to provide:
- Waterproof Pac boots in good repair
- Thermal wear, sufficient clothing for warmth
- Waterproof jacket, pants, gloves
- Ski/Snowboard equipment