Meow Wolf is a social impact art project that fuels a business, and a business that fuels a social impact art project. We create immersive and interactive experiences that transport audiences into fantastic realms of story and exploration.
As a General Manager at Meow Wolf, you are responsible for overall daily operations of your site including the effective and successful management of labor, productivity, quality control, guest experience, employee satisfaction, all revenue streams, and safety measures as established and set by the Operations Division and site specifics. Additionally, this role serves as a company representative for all required engagement for your site including community functions, media requests, outreach, landlord relations, and regulatory channels. This individual must be able to direct multiple projects simultaneously, managing all elements, including approved budgets and coordinating guest experience, safety & security, staff management and other operational pieces with associated reporting departments.
Your goal is to enhance the operational procedures, systems and principles in the areas of information flow and management for management, team members and guests. This includes oversight of all Meow Wolf areas including, but not limited to exhibition, guest experience, team management, revenue goals, sales & marketing objectives, site and guest safety and security, and other aspects as required for daily operation. As key leadership on the team, must direct and work seamlessly with Operations Directors, Finance, Human Resources, Retail/Merchandise, Food & Beverage, Safety & Security, and Sales/Marketing Directors and Managers to ensure delivery of the highest level of guest satisfaction.
How you will do it…
With oversight from the EVP, Chief of Exhibitions and in conjunction with appropriate departments as required:
- Evaluate all shows and staff, manage budgets, planning, timelines, and deadlines.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company’s policies and applicable laws.
- Executes operational directives
- Develops, reviews, updates and implements strategic planning of the business including, but not limited to: sales, financial performance, new product development to maintain profitability, sustainability and longevity of the attraction.
- Manage the pre-opening set up in all business aspects to ensure a successful launch of the attraction in order to achieve guest volume, EBITDA and other Key Performance Indicators (KPI) targets
- Ensure all capex projects are rationally justified, delivered on time, on budget and to desired specifications.
- In conjunction with the Marketing department, ensure strong and coordinated delivery of regional marketing strategies including promotions, trade marketing, and PR.
- Implement company programs and directs the operations for all departments to ensure compliance with: Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), health and safety regulations, federal, state and local regulations, optimal level of service, quality and guest services.
- Works with the resorts & hotels and sales team to develop marketing programs and promote the attraction to potential guests.
- Create a strategic team environment that produces exceptional guest services, while directing the management team and ensuring all staff members perform at a consistent high level.
- Responsible for the preparation, presentation and subsequent achievement of the annual operating budget, marketing & sales plans and capital budget
- Directs and coordinates all divisional department activities to meet business and profitability growth objectives of the attraction
- Ensures adequate staffing and development in all work centers: hires, trains, coaches and empowers employees to exceed guest service standards and revenue goals
- Assists with creation and maintenance of operating controls, operating procedures, company policies and service standards
- In coordination with creative team, implements strategies for various artistic projects and oversees them to completion
- Ensures artistic elements of the attraction meet or exceed brand standards
- Coaches, mentors and develops staff; provides career development planning and opportunities
- Provides leadership for employee relations through effective communications, coaching, training and development
- Models safe working behaviors to ensure a safe work environment and guest experience
- Ensures compliance with local, state and federal regulations
To be successful in this role you will need…
- Prior experience as a General Manager, Company Manager, Operations Director, or role with relevant responsibilities
- Minimum 10 years management in attractions, live entertainment, sports, hospitality, museums, and/or operations environment
- Minimum 5 years experience developing budgets, financial strategy, and managing profitability
- Direct experience with immersive theater, art installations, theme/amusement park entertainment, an/or event production and management
- A high level of Google Suite and Microsoft Office knowledge.
- Must be located, or willing to relocate to, Grapevine, TX.
Desired Characteristics and Qualities for all Team Members:
- Embrace and exemplify Meow Wolf Culture
- Be enthusiastic about work and creating a transcendental guest experience
- Listen and communicate with compassion and positivity
- Demonstrate flexibility and a receptiveness to change
- Willing to work outside comfort zone to assist guests or fellow team members
- Maintain professional courtesy and behavior at all times
- Be a “People Person” - friendly, understanding, compassionate, positive
Work environment & physical demands…
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed must be representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, experience, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Moving in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces
- Remaining in a stationary position for prolonged periods
- Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Positioning or moving objects up to 25 pounds
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job primarily operates in an indoor setting with exposure to noisy environments, dim lighting, strong visual effects including strobing lights, special effects, fog machines and small and/or enclosed spaces.
This is a full time position with a flexible schedule which includes weekdays, weekends, evenings, and holidays.
The following roles report to the General Manager
- Admin: HR, Accountant, Accounts Payable, Admin Assistant
- Operations Director
- Safety & Security Manager
- Events Director
- Director, Exhibition & Facilities
- Senior Manager, Sales & Marketing
Occasional travel (<25%) is required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
About Meow Wolf
Meow Wolf is an innovative arts and entertainment company that creates mind-bending experiences through immersive and interactive storytelling art installations, video and music production, and extended reality content. What began as an art collective in 2008 has now become one of the most popular and successful immersive and interactive experience companies in the world.
Meow Wolf’s first permanent installation, the THEA Award-winning House of Eternal Return, opened in Santa Fe, NM, in March 2016 with the support for Game of Thrones creator, George R.R. Martin. Inside, guests discover a multidimensional mystery house with secret passages, portals to magical worlds, and an expansive narrative amidst surreal, maximalist, and mesmerizing art exhibits.
After garnering national acclaim, Meow Wolf launched two new immersive experiences in 2021: Omega Mart in Las Vegas, an extraordinary supermarket that bursts into surreal worlds and unexpected landscapes, and Convergence Station in Denver, a four-story exhibition with more than 70 unique installations that transport you into a psychedelic, science-fictional journey.
Recognized in Fast Company's 2022 and 2020 list of ‘The World's 50 Most Innovative Companies’ and as the only certified B-Corporation in the themed entertainment industry, Meow Wolf is comprised of nearly 1,000 employees creating and supporting art across a variety of media, including architecture, sculpture, painting, photography, video production, cross-reality (AR/VR/MR), music, audio engineering, narrative writing, costuming, performance and more.
Meow wolf is composed of individuals who inspire creativity in people’s lives through art and exploration. Every role is a vital component of the multiverse we create and is essential to creating exhibitions that will serve as anchors, borne in deep radical collaboration with local artists and communities, thus fueling our social impact initiatives. Each hire allows us to add another unique dimension to our multidimensional team.
The choices we make concerning our benefits during enrollment periods are among the most important we select for ourselves and our families. As part of the total compensation package for full-time employees, Meow Wolf offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes various options to meet individual healthcare and financial needs along with many perks.
- Medical Insurance options: PPO & HSA
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Company Paid Life Insurance Policy & Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Voluntary Short-term Disability & Critical Illness Policies
- Company Paid Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Parental Leave for 6 weeks
- Discount off Meow Wolf Gift Shop Merch
- Admission to Meow Wolf attractions for employees and guests
- 401k Retirement Plan
- And more benefits specific to the location of the role
Please visit www.meowwolf.com/careers for more information.
COME AS YOU ARE
Meow Wolf is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to ensuring all employees enjoy and thrive in a work environment where differences make us the vibrant, wonderful community we are! All employment decisions at Meow Wolf are based on business need, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, veteran status, service in the military or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Meow Wolf truly embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.