Job Title: Dishwasher & Kitchen Assistant Classification: Seasonal
Reports to: Food Service Manager FLSA Status: Exempt
Compensation: $16/hour (if living offsite) OR $80/day plus room & board (if living onsite)
This position is responsible for working as a member of the kitchen staff including washing meal prep dishes, assisting with food preparation, cleaning, and other kitchen support tasks as needed. If living off-site, this role requires regular travel to and from Sandy, Oregon; option to live on-site throughout summer if desired.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. This role will come in contact with campers, families, visitors, vendors and employees. Each of these persons may have visible and invisible qualities that makes that person unique. This includes race, gender, age, sexuality, ability, religion, national origin, gender identity, and other identities. This role requires sustaining an inclusive and equitable learning and working environments by having respectful and considerate behavior, thoughtful and constructive speech to all.
- Ability to commit to learning and applying an equity lens to job duties and community building.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation including supporting Namanu by assisting with duties outside of this role.
- Open to feedback and contributing to an environment of continual learning.
2. Supports kitchen team with cleaning of kitchen and dining spaces including implementation of Covid-19 policies, inventory, and other kitchen support tasks as needed.
- Unload and stack food and equipment deliveries.
- Properly store, label, and rotate kitchen stock as needed.
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of dishes, kitchen equipment, work stations, and food storage areas.
No supervisory responsibilities.
Ability to perform job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Displays communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with coworkers, volunteers, parents, and contractors; including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Has a High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. We are able to hire a small number of current high-school aged staff that are at least 16-years-old, but the majority of our staff must be 18 years or older.
- Willingness to learn new kitchen skills including but not limited to: food prep, use of commercial dishwasher, and proper cleaning techniques.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, manages time efficiently, move with purpose & urgency, and proactively solve problems.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and follow instructions.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
This position requires a valid Oregon Food Handler’s card, ServSafe certification, and First Aid & CPR certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. In compliance with covid-19 protocols, employees may be asked to wear a face mask when not actively consuming food/beverage depending on current state standards.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; exposure to cleaning chemicals; extreme cold (non-weather) and extreme heat (non-weather). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Camp Fire welcomes and embraces all youth of diverse cultures, beliefs, experiences, and identities. We are committed to creating a culturally-responsive, inclusive, and safe environment for all children, families and staff.
Camp Fire Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, gender expression and identification, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.