This position will primarily focus on booking new and repeat events in the Tradeshow, Expo, Public and Consumer show segment to the Gas South Convention Center. This position will report to the Senior Sales Manager. Our ideal candidate will be a driven individual with an understanding of convention business, primarily in the Tradeshow segment, and the importance of collaborating with our local CVB and business relations within Gas South District.
The ideal candidate will be a team player, authentic, openminded and responsible for implementing and managing assigned sales segments and other identified markets utilizing experience and skills in sales while sharing our vision to be the #1 convention, sports, and entertainment destination in metro Atlanta.
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct site visits, cold calls, follow up to repeat clients, attend industry tradeshows and other meetings as part of the prospecting effort.
- Respond to inquiries from prospective and confirmed facility users regarding general information, rates, and space availability for the facility.
- Negotiate, compile, and execute sales contracts and agreements.
- Deliver accurate, creative, and complete responses to inquiries and RFP’s.
- Prospect new convention center clients and events by cold calling, research, personal visits, written correspondence, and participation in promotional, community and industry events.
- Identify available dates and compatible spaces for new and repeat clients, suggesting alternate dates when necessary. Identify and avoid date conflicts with incompatible events.
- Conduct facility tours and make formal presentations to event organizers regarding facility booking policies, rental rates, services, and operational policies.
- Prepare written proposals and cost estimates for potential facility users; reevaluate potential business value of various events and facility users; initiate booking discussions; finalize all booking arrangements.
- Maintain accurate information in event booking and management system.
- Prepare event license agreements and addenda; consult with Supervisor or others with authority to modify contracts regarding specific language issues; prepare related correspondence to the facility.
- Coordinate proper handover of events to event managers.
- Prepare reports as requested by the organization.
- Participate with community and industry-related associations, committee study groups and task forces.
- As assigned, conduct a variety of industry-related studies and recommend modifications to departmental service delivery methods and operational policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively to create an exceptional customer experience.
- Represent the facility at various industry events and activities.
- Participate in related trade organizations which may require occasional overnight travel.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Work cooperatively with Explore Gwinnett (Gwinnett CVB) and maintain positive relationships with other Convention Centers in the area.
Skills and Abilities
Position requires the ability to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in the principles, practices, and terminology of public relations programs, advertising, marketing, sales presentations, and public speaking.
- Handle objections and offer comparable solutions to clients and business partners.
- Write, memos, reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Operate a personal computer using Windows and Microsoft Office software.
- Operate portable radio and standard office equipment.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Work as a team member as well as independently, exercising judgment, initiative, and confidentiality.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, guests, employees, and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Ability to travel for tradeshows, meetings, and conferences as needed.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and be able to legally operate a motor vehicle in the state of Georgia.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of two (2) years of increasingly responsible sales experience, preferably with a convention center, hotel, conference center, or expo center that hosts large conventions and tradeshows.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in sales, marketing, public relations, business administration, hospitality management or another related field.
- Additional years of experience may be substituted for formal education.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) designation or graduation from IAVM’s Venue Management School preferred.