Lathrop GPM, one of the nation's leading law firms, has an immediate opening for a Director of Practice Management. This position can be located in any of our offices but Minneapolis, MN, and Kansas City, MO are preferred. At Lathrop GPM, our 12 practice groups operate as business units responsible for driving the firm’s business and strategic plan forward.
This position is an extension of the client and practice innovation team with responsibilities for managing administrative, operational, and strategic functions and initiatives of assigned practice groups.
Practice Group Management and Administration
• Develop relationships with all members of assigned practice groups and communicate with them regularly to understand and keep current on their needs.
• Foster teamwork and a positive working and client service environment.
• Identify areas to increase efficiencies, including assessment and adoption of technologies, software, and other processes to add value to attorneys and clients.
• Along with the Chief Client Officer and assigned Business Development Manager create, monitor, and assist with the implementation of strategic plans for assigned practice groups.
• Along with the Practice Group Leader (PGL), monitor and assist attorneys and other timekeepers on the annual development and implementation of the individual practice plans (“IPPs”).
• Meet regularly with the Practice Group Leaders to discuss management of the practice group and implementation of strategic objectives.
• Work with practice group leadership and business development on the production of the Practice Group Plans.
• Facilitate communication across practice groups to proactively identify organizational issues, and help identify solutions.
• Identify frictions in the delivery of services and advocate best practices to practice groups, office managers and heads of professional and support service departments.
• Monitor and stay current on daily activities for assigned practice groups.
• Collaborate fully with support services (e.g., Human Resources, Technology Services Department, Recruiting & Professional Development, Finance, etc.) to research and advise on best practices in the delivery of practice group services and make practical recommendations for improvement.
• Collaborate with the pricing team on setting annual billing rates, billable hours, and other revenue targets and budgets.
• Monitor practice group financial performance by reviewing monthly financial reports and providing analysis to practice group leadership in preparation for practice group and firm management meetings including utilization, headcount/FTE, revenue, expenses, productivity and other relevant statistics.
• Organize, schedule, set agendas and prepare for practice group meetings including practice group attorney meetings, partner meetings, and retreats.
• Coordinate budgeting and business planning for assigned practice groups.
• Monitor and reconcile monthly the practice group expense budgets and approve check requests relative to said budgets.
• Confirm appropriate use of charge numbers and co-approve with PGL travel & entertainment forms and check requests for non-client billable expenses.
• Work with assigned practice groups to develop, test and continually improve practice group specific business continuity plans.
• Perform special projects as requested by the practice group leaders and other firm leaders.
• Supervise paralegals and other timekeepers, as appropriate, in respective practice areas.
• Meet with members of finance department regularly to review WIP/AR at both the group and individual levels.
• Facilitate onboarding and offboarding of all timekeepers within practice groups.
• Communicate and collaborate with office managers/supervisors and heads of professional and support service departments as appropriate and necessary to meet the needs of all timekeepers in the practice group.
• Work with the practice group leaders, Human Resources, and other administrators as necessary to address timekeeper performance and productivity issues.
• Ensure that lawyers and other timekeepers have the essential resources necessary by working with the office managers/supervisors and support service departments.
• Be available to troubleshoot and respond to business-related questions and the needs of practice group timekeepers, including staffing needs.
Client Legal Project Management
• Collaborate with the other members of the Client & Practice Innovation Team to promote and implement legal project management policies and processes to enhance firm profitability.
• Ensures appropriate processes are followed for the management of conflicts and risks including the compilation of data such as sensitive securities risks.
• Tracks paralegal, associate, staff attorney, counsel, and partner monthly recorded hours and partner financial performance.
• Facilitate accurate and prompt time entry, billing and collection activities by monitoring late time and financial reports, follow up with partners and staff, and reporting to the Practice Group Leaders.
• Track recorded hours for all timekeepers and partner financial performance.
Recruiting and Development
• Work with Human Resources and the Legal Talent Team on staff and lateral hiring matters.
• Work with Director of Lateral Partner Recruiting to identify areas of growth, candidate target lists, etc.
• Facilitate an efficient hiring process for lateral partners and associates.
• Work with practice group leaders to craft formal request/justification for lateral hiring of associates, Technical Specialist, Patent Agents and Paralegals.
• Assist with the orientation, training and integration of new attorneys and staff within the practice group. Ensure that new attorneys are receiving appropriate exposure to opportunities and that mentoring relationships are successful.
• Work with practice group leaders to craft, implement, and facilitate comprehensive professional and skill training for assigned practice groups.
• Coordinate and along with PGL, administer annual associate reviews.
• Work with Chief HR Officer and other members of the Human Resources to review and set annual compensation for associates, counsel, technical specialists, patent agents, and paralegals.
• Collaborate with Director of Diversity & Inclusion to improve diversity & inclusion within practice groups, and support the recruitment, retention, and promotion of women and minority timekeepers.
• Previous Practice Group Administration experience required
• Bachelor's degree required; CPA, MBA or JD preferred
• Five to seven years relevant experience working in a law firm with a solid understanding of the legal industry and law firm economics
• Strong business and financial background preferred
• Solid understanding of the financial and operational aspects of a law firm
• Highly organized, detailed oriented, and ability to perform at a managerial level
• Strong practical problem-solving abilities using logic, analysis, creativity, follow through, and client service skills
• Ability to coordinate many issues/projects at once and work well under pressure
• Possess good judgment and strong decision-making skills including the ability to understand complex situations, effectively analyze options and develop strong conclusions
• Ability of develop collaborative relations with a broad array of individuals at varying levels of the Firm
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Elite, and other applicable business software applications
We celebrate and support diversity and the benefits it brings to our workplaces, clients and communities. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
It is the employment policy and practice of Lathrop GPM to recruit and hire employees without discrimination because of race, color, sex, gender, religion, age, national origin, military status, genetic information, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by applicable law.
Lathrop GPM LLP offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, and a professional, challenging, yet comfortable working environment. Lathrop GPM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiting agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of Lathrop GPM without prior approval from the HR Manager will be considered unsolicited and the property of Lathrop GPM.
EOE/M/F/D/V NO PHONE CALLS