The Grant Writer will gather documentation and fulfill the necessary requirements of various funding bodies to formally seek funding on behalf of the City of Pontiac. The successful candidate will be an avid grant researcher with a proven track record of identifying new revenue sources and preparing exceptional proposals and reports that result in six- and seven-figure grant awards. The Grant Writer will be well versed in federal, state, and county grant programs and will have a robust understanding of the granting guidelines of each. The Grant Writer will collaborate extensively with staff at all levels of City government to obtain the information needed to produce competitive proposals and reports. This self-starter will have significant experience in writing for a variety of grant funders.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position:
GRANT WRITER – DEPARTMENT OF GRANTS AND PHILANTHROPY
· Prepares proposals by determining concept, gathering and formatting information, writing drafts, and obtaining approvals.
· Determines proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs, studying requests for proposal (RFPs), and attending strategy meetings.
· Meets proposal deadline by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal.
· Coordinates requirements with contributors and contributes proposal status information to review meetings.
· Gathers proposal information by identifying sources of information, coordinating submissions and collections, and identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals.
· Develops proposal by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation.
· Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials.
· Prepares presentation by evaluating text, graphics, and binding and coordinating printing.
· Maintains quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
· Obtains approvals by reviewing proposal with key providers and project managers.
· Improves proposal-writing results by evaluating and re-designing processes, approach, coordination, and boilerplate.
· Accomplishes City goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests, and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
· Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
· Thorough knowledge of private, federal, state, regional and local grant policies and processes. Thorough knowledge of metric and measurement techniques
· Thorough knowledge of quality management and process improvement principles.
· Strong skill making effective written presentations
· Skill in analyzing opportunities and developing proposals
· Strong ability to manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and organize information.
· Ability to respond to high-volume workplace
· Bachelor's Degree in English, Public Administration, or related field of study.
At least 2 years experience with proof of awards
· Experience in grant writing with/ for federal programs and foundations.