Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions that include SOC-as-a-Service, best-in-class Managed Detection & Response software, Security Information & Event Management, Threat Hunting and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff and technology help shield businesses from cyberattacks.
Named a Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain’s, Binary Defense is a fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture, flexible remote work options, as well as generous on-site perks. For the third year in a row, Binary Defense has been recognized as one of the fastest-growing private companies in the US! Ranking at 2,985 on the Inc. 5000 list for 2021, Binary Defense is proud of its position as the only security firm in Ohio to make the list. The company ranks among the top 100 in Ohio for growth, and in the top 25 in the Northeast Ohio region. At the 2021 Greater Cleveland Partnership’s “Best of Tech Awards,” Binary Defense was recognized as the “Tech Company of the Year”, “Best Technology Solution” and “Best Tech Services Company” in Northeast Ohio.
Binary Defense offers competitive medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and dependents, a 401k match which vests every payroll, a flexible and remote friendly work environment, as well as training opportunities to expand your skill set (to name a few!). If you’re interested in joining a growing team with great perks, we encourage you to apply!
About the Role
Binary Defense is seeking a Test Automation Engineer, reporting into the Architect, Quality Engineering, who will be critical in building and maintaining our test automation suite. You will be a member of an Agile Delivery Team and will partner with Software Engineers to ensure high quality releases of software. We believe that quality is a team sport (there are no Development and QA silos), and that excellent software is created through the close proximity of development and test activities. Therefore, you must be able to write test automation, including performance tests, perform manual testing when needed, and educate the Software Engineers on how they contribute in the process of delivering high quality software for our customers.
As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and expect the best from each other. We thrive when we cooperate with each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to help everyone bring their whole selves to work, encourage diversity, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our schedule.
Effectively collaborate within a product-focused software delivery team to:
- Deliver world-class security products of the highest quality while using Agile frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) and test automation
- Define, design, estimate, plan, & execute user stories
- Write high-quality test automation code and perform manual testing as needed
· Design, develop, and maintain test automation suite using Python, Shell Scripting/ Bash.
· Learn new technologies, tools, and coding languages to enhance the test automation suite to continuously improve the quality of our products.
· Demonstrate passion for working in an Agile (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) software development environment with a focus implementing best practices and continuously improving as a team in ways that support our unique business needs.
· Work within a delivery team to integrate the test automation into build pipelines that support continuous testing.
· Participate in design and code reviews, measure code coverage, assess overall system quality, and ensure effectiveness.
· Automate API testing based on project needs.
· Partner with Architect of Quality Engineering to improve tests, test environments and test data.
· Provide information to support reporting of key performance metrics to assess quality.
· Supports Architect of Quality Engineering in regular activity with the delivery team to assess current state of quality and build plans to improve.
· Other projects and responsibilities, as assigned by the direct manager.
· Computer Science, Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree.
· 3+ years of hands-on software development or test automation experience.
Python – Expertise Level: High
Shell Scripting, Powershell, Go, etc – Expertise Level: Moderate
Active Directory, Windows Registry, Windows Event, Group Policy & related – Expertise Level: Moderate
Experience working with/ testing on-prem/ cloud VMs (installing software remotely, monitoring system & custom application logs, etc)
Experience working with/ testing client-based application
Experience using git as a source code management tool
Experience with integrating automation frameworks in the CI pipeline.
Knowledge of the automation testing lifecycle.
Aptitude and desire to learn security tools to replicate techniques used during cyber-attacks.
Experience successfully working with distributed teams as the delivery teams are fully remote.
Excellent communication skills (verbal and written), and the ability to work effectively with others in a team environment.
Strong fundamentals and passion around a “shift left” mindset – we believe in beginning to test requirements during refinement
Successful experience delivering using team-based Agile frameworks (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.).
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Interest in learning other languages in addition to Python, Powershell & Shell Scripting/ Bash
· Ability to debug the possible causes of failures and generate bug tickets for the team to solve.
· Communicative and social - excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely express concepts in verbal and written forms.
· Creativity, initiative, and flexibility - tempered by pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
· Proactive - must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks.
· Enthusiastic - must be high-energy and a passionate advocate for quickly delivering value.
· Collaborative - Works closely with team members and stakeholders to understand needs, gain perspective, and collectively execute automated test iterations, tracking & reporting test results, troubleshooting and coordinating the bug fixes.
· Honest, humble, friendly, and collegial.
· Self-motivated - ability to learn on the job in fast paced environment and make progress despite obstacles.
· Bring an ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
· Approaches work with a strong sense of urgency – you are in control and consistently identify opportunities to progress sooner rather than later.
· Experience in cybersecurity and intelligence.
· Knowledge of application security practices.
· Previous experience testing distributed solutions deployed on servers and end user machines that integrate with a web application.
· Experience with exploratory testing – the complexities of the security domain requires some creative thinking to try and break the software in interesting ways
· Working knowledge of GitLab.
· Experience using macOS as a Development Platform – all engineers are provided a MacBook Pro.
· Nice to haves
Other language experiences like F#, C#, or C/C++
Knowledge of cloud and container technology (e.g. AWS, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes).
Understanding of Terraform, Ansible, Pulumi, or Vagrant.