MeatEater is seeking a highly motivated and creative person to assist the web publishing team as an Assistant Editor. As an editor for the MeatEater brand, you’ll join a web publishing team that creates content for MeatEater, Wired To Hunt, and Wild + Whole. Our written content covers a wide array of topics in the outdoor space, but primarily focuses on hunting, fishing, conservation, and wild foods. You must be an excellent communicator and multitasker who has a background in writing, copyediting, and SEO.
When you submit a cover letter and resume, please also include writing samples of relevant work. This can be uploaded with your other documents or linked to in your resume.
This position has the option to work remote or relocate to MeatEater’s headquarters in Bozeman, MT. There will be some expected travel to attend company events in Montana and Idaho.
- Creating, assigning, and editing gear-focused written content
- Examples: Best Cast Iron Skillets, How to Choose a Kayak, MeatEater’s Favorite Binoculars for Hunting
- Creating, assigning, and editing SEO-focused written content
- Examples: How to Tie a Palomar Knot, Everything You Need to Know About Lyme Disease, 5 Best Hunting Dog Breeds
- Creating, assigning, and editing news-focused written content
- Examples: New Study Claims Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers Not Extinct, Poaching Bust Leads to Over 100 Charges in Multiple States, Volunteers Needed to Cull Hundreds of Grand Canyon Bison
- Copyediting articles for MeatEater, Wired To Hunt, and Wild + Whole
- Uploading articles to MeatEater, Wired To Hunt, and Wild + Whole
- Building newsletters for MeatEater, Wired To Hunt, and Wild + Whole
- Familiarity with MeatEater’s four verticals: hunting, fishing, conservation, cooking
- Writing experience, must provide samples
- Strong SEO knowledge
- Copyediting experience
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Ability to work within deadlines
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to collab with other writers and editors
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, English, digital media, or communications
- HTML experience
- Newsletter experience
- Photo editing experience
- Ability to create and maintain a publishing calendar
- Ability to manage freelancers
- Understanding of best practices for articles on social media
About MeatEater, Inc.
MeatEater, Inc. is an outdoor lifestyle media and commerce company founded by renowned writer, TV, and podcast personality Steven Rinella. With the belief that a deeper understanding of the natural world enriches all of our lives, MeatEater, Inc. brings together leading influencers in the categories of fishing, hunting, wild foods, and conservation to create premium content and experiences and provide unique apparel and equipment. MeatEater, Inc brands include First Lite, FHF Gear, and Phelps Game Calls.