Provide direct supervision of a group of children in an off-site afterschool program. Assist and provides support to the site supervisor. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
1. Supervises a group of school age children.
2. Assist in tutoring elementary education (K-8) subject material.
3. Assist in the implementation of age/developmentally appropriate activities following YMCA guidelines.
4. Assist in the planning and implementation of program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
5. Apply basic youth development principles in working with children through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
6. Actively participate with children in all activities.
7. May assist the site coordinator in providing supervision for children during transportation to and from local schools sites to YMCA sites.
8. Insures the proper use of school property and grounds as well as YMCA equipment and supplies.
9. Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
10. Participate in staff trainings and meetings.
11. Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
12. Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
13. Be a role model to students and staff in your attitude and behavior.
14. Maintains positive relations with children, parents, school personnel, co workers, subordinate staff and volunteers. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
15. Work on non-school days such as Fall Break, Spring Break, etc.
16. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. At least 16 years of age.
2. Working toward or has received HS Diploma or equivalent.
3. Previous experience with school age children preferred.
4. Interest in children and significant evidence of emotional maturity, good moral character, judgment, integrity and leadership capability.
5. Ability to adapt to changing needs and circumstances.
6. Ability to communicate with children and deal effectively with inappropriate behavior.
7. Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc…
Ability to assist in the planning, leading and participating in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
TB test, drug screening and fingerprinting must be completed within 30 days of employment.