The Division of Education and Training of the Fenway Institute is seeing a rapidly increasing demand for LGBTQIA+ health-related training and technical assistance within healthcare and other organizations. The majority of its current business is funded through federal grants to train Federally Qualified Health Centers and Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program-funded organizations. The Division of Education and Training would like to expand its fee-for-service trainings to other types of healthcare organizations such as academic medical centers, large healthcare systems, and non-healthcare organizations such as corporations with internal wellness programs. This expansion of trainings will support Fenway Health’s mission of enhancing the wellbeing of LGBTQIA+ communities and all people in our neighborhoods and beyond through access to the highest quality health care, education, research, and advocacy.
We are seeking a strategic, entrepreneurial Director of Client Services & Business Development who will lead the growth of our fee-for-service trainings and technical assistance. The initial priority areas are refining and executing a successful go-to-market strategy, developing a financial model to meet growth targets within 24 months, growing the client base, and ensuring successful delivery of high-quality trainings. This role will report to the Director of the Division of Education and Training and will collaborate closely with the Deputy Director and Director of Program Operations to grow the client base and to deliver client engagements. This role will also collaborate with the Executive Director of The Fenway Institute and the Chief Pharmacy Officer; EVP of Business Development to develop and to execute the go-to-market strategy, and ensure the new business aligns strategically and operationally with the broader organization’s priorities.
While this endeavor will be revenue-generating, this position must balance Fenway’s multiple goals of impact within LGBTQIA+ communities, strategic value, learning opportunity, geographic diversity, advancing equity, and being a good neighbor. This position calls for a unique individual who can apply an entrepreneurial mindset to meet mission-driven goals, working collaboratively, and be comfortable with ambiguity.
The Director of Client Services & Business Development will share resources, leverage existing knowledge, utilize newly developed tools, and continuously increase their knowledge to ensure a successful expansion of trainings. It is vital to maintain effective and timely communication with the Director regarding future trainings, priorities, needs, and challenges.
- Go-To-Market Strategy Refinement and Execution
- Develop the go-to-market strategy, including market refinement, target customer, positioning, and pricing
- Create a financial model with revenue and cost targets which will achieve profitability within 24 months
- Collaboratively identify and codify high value products and services to be offered
2. Business Development and Client Management
- Develop portfolio mix and client selection criteria
- Outreach proactively to prospective clients, meet with them to elicit training needs, and covert discussion to agreement for training whenever possible
- Grow the client base and secure repeat business with existing clients
- Build and strengthen relationships with existing and prospective clients
3. Scoping and Management of Trainings
- Negotiate scope and pricing of training and technical assistance contracts
- Ensure proper resourcing for client engagements and content development, coordinate individual trainings, and manage calendar of trainings
- Collaborate with curriculum developers and subject matter experts to plan and create training content
- Ensure all client material meets Fenway’s excellence standards
- Ensure excellent customer service, assessing satisfaction throughout the project
4. Build Infrastructure to Support Client Engagements
- Develop, enhance, and codify tools, systems, and processes to scale business development and client engagement efforts
- Develop a continuous learning model to make improvements to client delivery
- Build and supervise a high-functioning, diverse, inclusive, and collaborative team to meet scaling needs
5. External Communications Management
- Determine and develop marketing content in collaboration with colleagues in the Education Division and Communications Department
- Identify external opportunities such as conferences where prospective clients gather
- Represent Fenway Health at external events as appropriate
6. Perform other related duties as required
- 10+ years of professional experience with at least 4 years of client service expertise in a training or service-based environment and at least 4 years of sales experience including developing and pricing new products and services for clients
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with colleagues, patients, clients and vendors across the spectrum of diversity, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, national origin and immigrant status, religious or spiritual identity, disability (physical, mental, emotional and developmental), veteran status, and/or limited English proficiency.
- Willingness to contribute towards Fenway’s efforts in becoming an anti-racist organization and promoting a culture dedicated to ongoing development in service of humility, equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging, where differences are acknowledged and valued.
- Strategic thinker with deep experience with refining and executing go-to-market strategies
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated track record of successfully building and maintaining internal and external relationships to develop partnerships with clients
- Entrepreneurial team player who thrives in a growing environment, contributes creative ideas, is enthused about enhancing and continuing to build the fee-for-service client services function and is comfortable collaborating with colleagues to make decisions, to manage projects, to build infrastructure, and to overcome challenges.
- Aligned closely with Fenway Health’s mission of enhancing the wellbeing of LGBTQIA+ communities and all people in our neighborhoods and beyond through access to the highest quality health care, education, research, and advocacy
- Experience working with sensitivity within diverse communities, particularly BIPOC communities, LGBTQIA+ communities, and intersectional communities
- Tech-savvy and able to develop expertise in new technologies. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Zoom.
- Willingness to travel as needed to attend select client trainings as well as conferences and other events to interact with multiple potential clients simultaneously
- Physical Requirements:
- Ability to meet the following physical requirements with or without reasonable accommodations:
- Sit at a computer station for extended periods of time
- Ability to type on a keyboard for extended periods of time