About LOCUS Impact Investing:
LOCUS Impact Investing is a national nonprofit consulting organization and mission-driven registered investment advisor firm providing a comprehensive set of tools to the increasing number of foundations and place-focused impact institutions looking for innovative ways to invest in and transform communities. LOCUS believes that philanthropy and mission-driven investors should work alongside communities to grow economies that work for all. We partner with these impact investors to redefine their role as capital providers, activate investments and endowments for community impact, and use their capital as a tool to drive equitable prosperity. LOCUS is a wholly owned subsidiary of the non-profit, VCC Social Enterprises. For more information about LOCUS visit https://locusimpactinvesting.org.
About VCC Social Enterprises
VCC Social Enterprises is a nonprofit holding company regulated by the Federal Reserve. VCC Social Enterprises is the parent organization for Virginia Community Capital, VCC Bank, and LOCUS Impact Investing. Virginia Community Capital (VCC) is a $275 million community development financial institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life in our communities. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, VCC offers innovative and flexible financing tools and professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to-moderate income and underserved communities. VCC Bank is an FDIC-insured, certified bank and B Corp offering products tailored to socially conscious investors, along with personal and business checking, savings, and certificate of deposit accounts. VCC Bank is a majority-owned subsidiary of VCC Social Enterprises. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender. Learn more at www.vacommunitycapital.org.
LOCUS is seeking a Senior Associate to join its growing Investment Advisory team. LOCUS is a national organization with staff in Colorado, Georgia, Nebraska, Iowa, New York, North Carolina, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. This position is remote/home office-based with limited travel related to team gatherings and/or client visits. This is a unique opportunity to join a mission-aligned organization and contribute to the emerging field of impact investing by place-focused institutions throughout the country.
LOCUS’ Investment Advisory team provides services that enable its clients to make effective and efficient impact investments, including fund design & development, investment sourcing & evaluation, and portfolio management & servicing. Projects often involve blended capital stacks (i.e., equity, debt, grants, guarantees) in sectors such as real estate & affordable/workforce housing, small business & entrepreneurship, and renewable energy & climate. This Senior Associate may help LOCUS clients manage investment processes and portfolios, structure, diligence, and underwrite specific impact investments, and create, launch, and manage impact investing vehicles. This position, and these services, are critical to the success of LOCUS.
The role requires someone with project management skills, financial acumen, intellectual curiosity, and a problem-solving attitude. This individual must thrive in a fast-paced environment, be comfortable with ambiguity, provide a high level of service to internal and external customers, and share a commitment to the mission of the organization.
- Live and represent the values and mission of the organization – keeping diverse, equitable, and inclusive impact at the center of all efforts and execution
- Manage projects and processes with teammates, clients, investors, community stakeholders, and other operational, financial, and legal advisors by coordinating logistics and workstreams, tracking progress, and communicating effectively
- Conduct due diligence on client investments by analyzing organizational, financial, and impact information; scope and responsibilities may range from presenting to investment committees to producing full investment memos to sourcing and supervising third-party due diligence providers to initial opportunity vetting in accordance with client priorities and guidelines
- Develop & maintain complex financial models, perform related research, and create ancillary analyses
- Create client deliverables, including pitch decks and one-pagers, term sheets, investment memos and other investment committee materials, due diligence reports, portfolio reports, focus group materials, work plans, etc. and present information to both internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of evaluation framework(s), investment policies & procedures, and capital raise strategies, including data room preparation & management
- Participate in LOCUS business development by conducting research, preparing proposals, contributing to the creation of strategic frameworks & tools, and helping to manage a pipeline of opportunities
- Understand client expectations and ensure superior client satisfaction
- Other research, analytical, and administrative duties, as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, ideally with coursework in Business, Finance, Economics or Accounting; Master’s degree a plus
- Minimum three (3) years of relevant work experience, preferably in impact investing or philanthropy, community development finance, commercial or investment banking, structured finance, or private equity or debt
- Experience evaluating, structuring, developing, and/or managing relevant investments and relevant sector knowledge a plus; strong preference for 1) real estate, particularly affordable/workforce housing and early-stage financing (e.g., acquisition, predevelopment), and/or 2) intermediaries such as community development financial institutions (CDFIs) and other impact-focused investments funds
- Demonstrated experience and comfort with financial modeling and large data sets
- Detail-oriented with a focus on performance and results
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills required
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and as part of a team in a remote environment
- Commitment to engaging in a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, with a particular focus on achieving equitable outcomes
- Excellent communication and presentation skills that support teamwork – conveys insights to peers and managers quickly and concisely
- Access to high-speed internet bandwidth required and reasonable proximity to major metropolitan airport
Salary & Benefits:
- LOCUS offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills
- Bonus opportunity if bonuses are paid in any given calendar year
- 17-days of PTO per year
- 11-Paid holidays per year
- Medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability insurance
- 401k savings plan with employer match
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work environment and hybrid remote options
Please click link to apply with your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the role in 100 words or less (excluding any headers, greetings, signatures, etc.). Or mail or fax resume with cover letter to:
VCC Social Enterprises
7814 Carousel Lane, Suite 100
Richmond, VA 23294
LOCUS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. LOCUS does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices based on race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job-related disability, or status as a veteran.
Applicants must be permanently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis