Work Where Science Lives
Linda Hall Library, one of the world’s foremost independent research libraries devoted to science, engineering, and technology, is seeking a part time Library Page to join its Stacks Department team.
The Linda Hall Library is a guardian of the collective intellectual heritage with regard to science, technology, and engineering disciplines, a destination for advanced research and scholarship, and a center for public education in the sciences. Additionally, the Library’s grounds are maintained as an urban arboretum that is open to the public for education and enjoyment.
Why Work at Linda Hall?
The Library’s collections, programs, and extraordinary talent makes us a place where people of all backgrounds and interests can learn, invent, and explore. The brilliant and collaborative team at Linda Hall Library inspires and engages with a curious public, illuminating the connections between our collections, science, and contemporary life.
Work at a place unlike any other, surrounded by rare books, nature, and great colleagues.
The Library Page supports the patron experience by making our collections accessible. The Library Page is responsible for the retrieval, shelving, and maintenance of library materials. This individual will also assist in shifting the collections and other library projects as needed
20 hours, scheduled between M-F, 9-5 PM
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Retrieving, shelving, and maintenance of library materials for internal and external patrons.
- Using the ILS for bibliographic searching.
- Assisting with special projects as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or degree equivalent.
- Basic PC skills.
- Demonstrated interest in learning library procedures, equipment skills and reference techniques.
- Dependable, highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
- Flexibility and the capacity to embrace change in a dynamic and evolving organization.
1. Teamwork: Demonstrates a capacity for internal and cross-departmental communication and cooperation. Works cohesively with others, actively participates within groups to achieve team goals, and supports other team members.
2. Flexibility: Embraces change in a dynamic and evolving organization and modifies behaviors to deal effectively with changes in work environments, requirements, processes, or tasks.
3. Attention to Detail: Produces quality outcomes by carefully checking all aspects of work to ensure accuracy, completeness, and freedom from errors.
4. Technology Proficiency: Demonstrates proficient use of the tools, equipment, devices, and software applications required in the role. Keeps up with new technology and software applications associated with a field of work. Learns technical skills quickly.
· Work is performed in a normal library environment.
· Lifting, handling, gripping, carrying, manipulating, and examining books and bound volumes ranging in weight from 3 to 40 pounds.
· Repetitive overhead reaching, bending, and stooping to return or remove volumes from shelves.
· Pushing and maneuvering book trucks.
· Use of a step stool and library ladder.
· Movement between floors and departments within the library.
· Standing or sitting for extended periods.
Culture and Perks
- Tranquil Environment: Work in an atmosphere of learning, a space that is conducive to both quiet contemplation and spirited collaboration. With over 220,000 square feet of library space, the Library offers large workspaces with natural light and views of the verdant Linda Hall Arboretum.
- Generous Paid Time Off: Full-time employees enjoy a rich paid time off benefit and a holiday schedule that includes two floating holidays. Unlike many public libraries, it is closed weekends and most evenings and offer flexible schedules.
- Robust Retirement Plan: The Library invests in the future of its employees and offers a substantial contribution to retirement savings in the form of an employer contribution and a match.
- Commitment to Learning: Linda Hall Library encourages lifelong learning and advances professional development in the forms of training, conferences, professional memberships, and other development opportunities.
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and HSA option
- Life insurance and paid long-term disability
- Unbeatable Location: Linda Hall is in the cultural heart of the city, within walking distance to Kansas City’s leading museums, verdant fountains and parks, and top local restaurants and shopping destinations.
The Linda Hall Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
The Linda Hall Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.