Summary of Duties: This position is primarily responsible for scheduling new patient and follow-up appointments, booking procedures (on demand and recalls), confirming upcoming appointments, answering and responding to all patient telephone calls as well as answering patient questions about procedures and procedure preparation. The Medical Secretary obtains prior authorizations for procedures and performs other various office duties as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Maintains provider schedule. Schedule patient appointments, procedures and confirm appointments.
· Answer and triage Provider’s telephone calls, retrieves and returns phone messages promptly, arranges appropriate follow up where needed.
· Ensures proper insurance referrals are in place as well as referring provider documentation and necessary patient records are received for visit.
· Performs end of visit check out, orders laboratory and/or radiology testing, and any follow-up care.
· Provide patients with necessary instructions to prepare for procedures.
· Coordinates with hospitals or other endoscopy centers for procedure scheduling as needed.
· Reviews and routes incoming correspondence, referrals, prescription authorizations and other electronic tasks. Responds, or accurately tasks to provider or administration.
· Maintains and completes open orders.
· Generates and types routine letters and correspondence in EHR and ensures proper signatures and approvals, when necessary.
· In coordination with Medical Assistant, maintains GI provider’s “recall” system, including mailing letters and follow up phone calls to remind patients of their GI procedures due (minimum two months ahead) as required.
· Helps patients with concerns and complaints, and escalates requests to Site or Practice Manager, as appropriate.
· Organizes provider’s calendar, and schedules other appointments as requested.
· Travels to satellite office as required.
· Maintains clean and orderly work area.
· Maintains a professional atmosphere in all aspects of the office, including interaction with physician, management, patients, and all outside contacts.
· Maintains patient confidentiality
· Performs other administrative, secretary and other medical support duties, as assigned.
· High School Diploma / Certified Medical Secretary / Medical Terminology
· Associate degree from two-year college or technical school preferred
· Minimum of two years’ experience in a medical office.
· Medical Terminology / Electronic Medical records experience preferred.
· Ability to function well in a fast-paced environment.
Environment/Working Conditions: Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level is usually moderate. Phones are very busy and the activity level is frequently high. Involves frequent contact with staff and patients and may require dealing with unhappy patients at times.
· Medical, dental, vision, 401K
· Paid sick / vacation time
· Paid holidays
Covid 19 precautions:
· We have modified our offices and follow recommended state and CDC guidelines.
· Covid vaccination per RI Mandate