The North Carolina Justice Center is a progressive research and advocacy organization dedicated to expanding opportunity and protecting the rights of low-income individuals in North Carolina. For over 20 years, the Justice Center has been on the front lines in the courts, at the legislature, in the media, and in communities advocating for positive changes for poor and working North Carolinians. The Justice Center has played a primary role in most of the state’s major policy debates and successfully litigated hundreds of individual cases and class actions.
The North Carolina Justice Center is seeking a Director of Finance, to oversee all financial functions within the Justice Center and direct the financial planning of the organization. This position is responsible for the preparation and maintenance of financial records and reports; management of Finance and Accounting staff; ensuring adherence to general accounting practices and legal compliance with IRS regulations, tax laws, state, and federal laws, and filing and registration requirements; management of grants accounting and payments; proactive leadership of staff to function as a high performing team, across the organization's functions.
- Master’s degree in a related field (Accounting, Finance, Business Administration) or equivalent professional training.
- At least seven years of experience in financial management of non-profits, prior experience as non-profit Director of Finance strongly preferred.
- Significant experience with and high level of competence in, the use of, complex financial management software programs. Prior experience with Blackbaud - Financial Edge is highly desirable.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with financial management of private foundation grants
- Demonstrated knowledge and mastery of accounting practices including GAAP.
- Experience as a full charge accountant including responsibility for general ledger, monthly closing, cash flow management and budget creation and analysis, and creation and generation of a range of financial reporting.
- Supervisory and managerial experience of financial staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
The Justice Center offers skilled and committed co-workers, a competitive salary and superior benefits to enhance staff quality of life including but not limited to: six weeks of paid time off, paid maternity/paternity leave, thirteen holidays, retirement plan contribution and match, FSA, medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage.
The Justice Center is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for available positions. NCJC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or disability.