What are Behavioral Health Technicians (BHT)
BHT’s are individuals who assist clinical staff by providing support services to our clients receiving treatment for substance use and/or mental health conditions in residential programs, inpatient settings
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for ensuring Therapeutic Community (TC) program compliance through regular facility checks and monitoring the environment. Must always remain visible to the community.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the resident structure to determine the overall environment of the community, identify problems and possible solutions, and help coordinate the smooth transition of scheduled activities.
- Provide transportation to residents for scheduled and prior-approved purposes including medical appointments, employment activities, and more by driving Phoenix House vehicles as directed.
- Oversee morning meeting and evening wrap-up, and review meeting content in advance. Conduct or assist to conduct encounter groups, seminars and workshops as directed.
- Perform opening and closing facility runs, and random runs throughout the day and ensure that the facility is secure.
- Oversee and monitor house and dorm, inspecting for adherence to exacting cleanliness, order, and safety specifications, and oversee extracurricular activities.
- Hold residents accountable for inappropriate or negative behaviors and utilize effective confrontation techniques.
- Provide thorough written communication through documentation of daily activities.
- Ensure debriefing with staff at the beginning and end of each shift with the oncoming staff.
- Immediately communicate with direct supervisor or on-duty facility leadership on incidents involving absconders, physical violence, suicidal threats, physical accidents involving staff or residents and extreme negative behavior.
- Perform property and body screens to identify alcohol and drugs, weapons, paraphernalia, or other inappropriate belongings on incoming prospects.
- Perform drug screens as directed.
- Allow access by residents to their medication.
- Ensure adherence to all Phoenix House rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Adhere to quality assurance program goals and objectives.
- Participate in staff meetings and training exercises as directed.
- Represent Phoenix House in court, interagency meetings, and community affairs as directed.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Phoenix House's electronic health record system (Welligent) sufficient to fulfill the duties required by this position within 30 days of employment.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Who we are
Phoenix House Florida is a non-profit, substance use treatment facility providing individualized services with a legacy spanning nearly 30 years. Phoenix House Florida is one of the largest residential not for profit facilities in the state of Florida. We can provide services for up to 250 clients in our beautiful residential facility that sits on twenty-six acres.
Our Citra facility offers adult residential services in separate units for men and women, and our Brandon facility offers adult and adolescent services on an outpatient basis. At Phoenix House Florida we are passionate about healing individuals, families, and communities challenged by substance use disorders and related mental health conditions.
To perform this position successfully, you must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to work with a diverse criminal justice population.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal relationship and time-management skills.
- Must be computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft Office with internet capabilities.
- Ability to maintain a good working relationship with all coworkers and the general public and to use good judgment in recognizing scope of authority.
- Ability to establish appropriate boundaries and un-possessive, professional relationships with all clients in treatment, including former clients served.
- Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Ability to take a teamwork approach to the job by cooperating with others, offering to help others when needed, and considering larger organization or team goals rather than individual concerns. Includes the ability to build a constructive team spirit where team members are committed to the goals and objectives of the team.
- Ability to operate general office equipment in the completion of job responsibilities.
High School Diploma or equivalent. Experience working in a substance abuse treatment or mental health setting. Therapeutic Community experience preferred.
Valid Florida driver’s license with no more than 4 points required.
We have an exciting opportunity for motivated individuals to learn a new trade through our new apprenticeship program. Upon completion of the program, you will be a Certified Behavioral Health Technician.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
REGULARLY REQUIRED: to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
OCCASIONALLY REQUIRED: to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch and lift or move up to 10 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
The work environment is that of a substance abuse treatment milieu which may include:
- Exposure to clients infected with Hepatitis B, HIV, TB, or other Infectious Diseases
- Business-related travel may be required
This is a 24 hour residential facility. Evening, weekend and/or holiday shifts may be required.
PHOENIX HOUSE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER