The heart of Boston Ballet is the human experience. Through our living and breathing art, we forge human connections—between artist and attendee, teacher and trainee, friend and newcomer, one's outer and inner self. We believe that the community of employees that makes dance possible is better together when talented individuals with varied life experiences, identities, races, cultures and ideas are welcomed, encouraged, and heard.
The Physical Therapist, Health and Wellness Program Coordinator (PT) is a full-time seasonal, exempt position responsible for the management of the internal physical therapy and wellness program for the Boston Ballet company and Boston Ballet II dancers (second company), including provision of direct clinical patient services and coordination of the overall health and wellness program for the dancers. This position communicates regularly with Artistic staff for the continual development of the wellness program and its programming and educational goals, in collaboration with a team of external practitioners, the Company Physician, a Physical Therapy Consultant, and the Company Manager.
- Evaluate and provide physical therapy services for Boston Ballet company and second company dancers for acute injury, rehabilitation, and preventative treatment
- Provide weekly clinical care coverage for company and BBII dancers in studio and at the theatre(s), including ‘on-call’ services on an as needed basis
- Coordinate arrangement of physical therapy coverage for Graduate program participants and provide consultation to Graduate program leadership as necessary
- Facilitate offsite PT care services when necessary, ensuring close communication with providers for continuity of rehabilitation and care
- Assist with workers’ compensation communication needs for the dancers along with the Company Manager and HR Director
- Order, track, and manage seasonal supplies and ongoing equipment needs; provide Company Manager with budgetary projections for PT needs each fiscal year
- Assist in injury tracking monitoring in tandem with Company Manager and workers’ compensation policies and procedural review
- Perform duties as active member of COVID Back to Work Task Force, including active liaison with Artistic staff, Company Manager/COVID Captain, and Infectious Disease consulting physicians and advisors while this function is necessary
- Assist Company Manager in communication with Development colleagues regarding services and gifts in kind provided to the dancers and Wellness Program
WELLNESS TEAM COORDINATION:
- Coordinate collaborative Physical Therapy team for on-site care including hiring, scheduling and quality control, maintaining communication among team members for best outcomes and workflow
- Facilitate onsite MD care including weekly onsite (currently virtual) MD clinic and grand rounds
- Communicate with and maintain relationship with Physician Network and Physician Advisory Committee
- Assist Company Manager in coordination of interdisciplinary care for specialized services with independent contractor affiliates such as nutritional consultation, mental health services, podiatry, chiropractic, acupuncture, and other allied health services for both on and off-site treatment as appropriate
- Assist Company Manager in coordination and scheduling of onsite theatre coverage from physician network as deemed necessary during performance runs
PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT PROGRAMMING:
- Implement health screenings and performance enhancement assessments and programming for dancers.
- Initiate advanced performance enhancement strategies with screening tools, development of a workload tracking system, improved testing strategies, outcome measures and offseason cross training programming
- Spearhead creation of online library of educational offerings in collaboration with external program consultants, practitioners, and specialists on topics specific to dancer health, wellness, and performance enhancement
- Provide Pilates and Gyrotonic based rehabilitation services
- Current license to render professional PT services in the state of Massachusetts
- Individual professional malpractice insurance with liability coverage of no less than $1,000,000.00 per claim / $3,000,000.00 aggregate
- Minimum of Masters in Physical Therapy, Doctorate preferred
- Minimum of 5 -10 years of experience practicing physical therapy
- Background in dance preferred
- Ability to lift 80 pounds
- Flexibility to be able to work nights, weekends and occasional holidays.
- May be required to travel and provide PT services on company tours or coordinate on-site PT services or referred practitioners at tour destination
Boston Ballet is an equal employment opportunity employer