Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions that include SOC-as-a-Service, best-in-class Managed Detection & Response software, Security Information & Event Management, Threat Hunting and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff and technology help shield businesses from cyberattacks.
Named a Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain’s, Binary Defense is a fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture, flexible remote work options, as well as generous on-site perks. For the third year in a row, Binary Defense has been recognized as one of the fastest-growing private companies in the US! Ranking at 2,985 on the Inc. 5000 list for 2021, Binary Defense is proud of its position as the only security firm in Ohio to make the list. The company ranks among the top 100 in Ohio for growth, and in the top 25 in the Northeast Ohio region. At the 2021 Greater Cleveland Partnership’s “Best of Tech Awards,” Binary Defense was recognized as the “Tech Company of the Year”, “Best Technology Solution” and “Best Tech Services Company” in Northeast Ohio.
Binary Defense offers competitive medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and dependents, a 401k match which vests every payroll, a flexible and remote friendly work environment, as well as training opportunities to expand your skill set (to name a few!). If you’re interested in joining a growing team with great perks, we encourage you to apply!
About the Role
Binary Defense is seeking Principal Software Engineer in Architecture, reporting into the Senior Software Architect, who will be critical in building a sustainable, and highly scalable product. You will be a key player in assessing technical approaches, leading proof of concepts and initiatives.
Binary Defense is looking for a talented, high-energy, collaborative person with deep expertise in building cloud-native applications and distributed systems with components running within customer environments. You must have exposure to developing for a variety of operating syststems and environments with minimal impact to the performance of the system. You will pair with the Senior Architect, Product Management and Software Enginneers to build excellent security products in alignment with organizations vision of the product future.
As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and expect the best from each other. We thrive when we cooperate with each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to help everyone bring their whole selves to work, encourage diversity, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our schedule.
· Understand business needs and develop solutions that delight customers
· Work closely with Product Management to understand the product vision and strategy
· Build and implement a technology strategy and roadmap aligned with business goals
· Write code – this is a hands on role and must deliver code quickly
· Enable the scaling our products and technical development process through design principles and core practices
· Execute the build vs. buy evaluation process
· Contribute to Software Architecture Standards and Documentation
· Provide leadership during application design and development for highly complex or critical product features
· Work closely with Product Management, UX, and Engineering to decompose product ideas into epics and feature ready user stories
· Work with and guide software engineering teams to deliver on critical features and solutions
· Demonstrate passion for working in an Agile (Scrum, Kanban, XP, etc.) software development environment with a focus implementing best practices and continuously improving as a team in ways that support our unique business needs
· Advocate and practice agile testing (BDD, TDD) and deeply understands the value of these.
· Practice collaborative techniques to architecture and implementation like Domain-driven Design, Pair Programming, Mob Programming, etc.
· Evaluate and recommend tools, technologies and processes to ensure a high-quality product platform
· Evaluate existing software solutions to identify areas for improvement
· Demonstrate leadership and is seen as a technical role model that mentors, encourages, and motivates team members towards continuous improvement
· Other projects and responsibilities, as assigned by the direct manager
· Computer Science, Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree.
· 6+ years hands-on experience in successfully designing, and building complex customer facing products
· Experience with legacy code rescue and refactoring techniques, and can teach others these skills
· Cloud-native experience
· High-performance computing experience
· Experience with architecture frameworks, including design patterns, distributed applications, AWS Well-Architected Framework, Azure Well-Architected Framework, and the C4 Model with the aim of reuse
· Experience with microservices, containerization, event-driven architecture, event sourcing, data warehouses, and data lakes
· Experience with Identity & Access Management, including Active Directory, Azure AD, Okta, Ping Identity, and SAML
· Experience with the full AWS stack; exposure to Azure and other cloud platforms is a plus
· Experience with programming technologies, including .NET Core, ASP .NET Core, F#, C#, Python, and C/C++
· Experience with Data technologies, including SQL, NoSQL, big data, R, GraphQL, etc.
· Experience with front-end technologies, including Angular, Node, React, etc.
· Experience with DevOps tools, including container management, application performance monitoring, deployment and server monitoring, configuration management, CI/CD, test automation, artifact management, etc.
· Experience with infrastructure as code and automation best practices including use of tools such as terraform, ansible, kubernetes
· Some understanding in the technology of operating system platform environments (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
· Knowledge in the practices for build scalable and fault tolerant solutions for customers
· Experience successfully working with distributed teams as the delivery teams are fully remote
· Proven capability of managing multiple priorities effectively and performing under tight deadlines
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Strong communication skills, including the ability to clearly express technical concepts both verbally and in visual representations of data to technical and non-technical audiences
· High emotional intelligence – self-awareness, self-regard, social effectiveness, social perception, and self-control
· Background in agile software development – a true believer in measuring success based on iterative delivery of working software, quick prototyping, and a drive to move fast and think big
· High tolerance to ambiguity and ability make progress in the face of it.
· Knowledgeable in aspects of distributed systems development: OS internals and OS system engineering concepts, concurrency models, networking, general distributed systems concepts, and API development.
· Knowledgeable in software engineering best practices.
· A passion for mentoring and growing the potential of others
· Ability to effectively and appropriately interview technical candidates
· Eagerness to learn new technologies and bring new ideas to the table
· Commitment to continuous improvement
· Accountable - must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks, as well as the responsibility to ensure a shared understanding of shared tasks
· Communicative and social - excellent interpersonal and group facilitation skills including the ability to work with diverse stakeholders and personality types and able to bridge the gap between technical and business stakeholders
· Experience working in a regulated industry and addressing compliance in infrastructure configuration (e.g. SOC2, HIPAA)
· Experience in security industry.
· Experience with artificial intelligence, machine learning, and natural language processing.
· Professional certification in software architecture, frameworks, or languages
· Professional certification in project management