DOES THIS DESCRIBE YOU?
You’ve always been drawn to numbers; they just make sense to you. You are probably good at Sudoku puzzles and you might even balance your checkbook to the penny each month. You are a team player who is trustworthy, detail-oriented, and accountable. You have a positive attitude and a caring demeanor. You understand project management and project finances and can communicate well with technical staff. In fact, you enjoy helping and communicating with PMs so that they can better understand their project finances to maximize financial outcomes. You look for solutions before anyone is aware there is a problem. You have killer organizational skills and are adept at keeping many balls in the air: processing invoices, updating spreadsheets, assisting with month-end, tending to project manager requests, and helping others. You’ve received compliments about your professionalism and ability to learn quickly.
Ascent is looking to fill a full-time position for a Project Accountant to join our environmental practice in any of our offices located in Sacramento, San Diego, Oakland, Lake Tahoe, or Orange County/Irvine. A typical week in the life of an Ascent Project Accountant:
- Work closely with the CFO, Accounting Manager, and key staff to ensure the smooth operation of project finances,
- Review and understand the terms of prime and consultant contracts including those of FAR/DCAA, change orders and other contract modifications, per-diem, back-up, and any additional services related to billing.
- Collaborate with PM to set up project financial expectations and review and monitor project performance on a monthly basis.
- Identify ways to increase profitability and efficiencies within projects and the company as a whole,
- Review draft invoices for appropriate labor and expense charges, and billing rates, and work with project managers to make appropriate changes and reclassifications to ensure accuracy and adherence to the project contract and budget.
- Prepare final invoice packages for assigned projects, including all applicable backups.
- Provide accurate and timely invoices to clients per contract terms, monitor accounts receivable, and assist with collection efforts.
- Review budgets spreadsheet for accuracy and projected profit.
- Respond in a timely manner to vendors, consultants, and staff.
- Research any unbilled issues to optimize the billing possibilities for the billing period.
- Make transfers of employee billable hours and/or expenses as requested.
We are seeking a detail-oriented team player with thorough knowledge and understanding of standard contract terms including FAR/DCAA; and lump sum, milestone, and T&M progress billings and how they are applied in the billing process. The ideal candidate desires full-time employment and has 3 or more years of experience. Experience in understanding project management and analyzing project finances is a plus. Proficient using Deltek Vision software is required. Candidates should also possess intermediate to advanced computer literacy, including experience in word processing, spreadsheets, and accounting software. The candidate must be able to work independently, take initiative, set priorities, and see projects through to completion while working as part of a team with multiple tasks, priorities, and deadlines. A Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance or some college courses in accounting or business is strongly preferred.
Ascent is committed to creating a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout all facets of the organization. We value and will strive to ascend by welcoming and uplifting all voices, ideas, achievements, and contributions, including those from marginalized communities and identities. We believe that recognizing and embracing our differences makes us a stronger organization. We commit to proactively nurturing environments of mutual support, respect, and caring for all through our words and actions. Join us on our journey.
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions.