The Technical Services Manager will lead a team of in-house engineers, technicians and project managers responsible for customer project management, system engineering and design, system implementation, technical documentation, assembled product design, traffic engineering, specification writing, plant projects, production support and new product development. The Technical Services Manager will supervise, lead and coordinate engineering, technical and service personnel to ensure that they are efficient, accurate, knowledgeable, and customer friendly to support the Midwest Distribution operations. As part of the leadership team, the Technical Services Manager will provide ideas, suggestions and strategies to achieve the company’s visions, goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Hire, develop, train and supervise a team of professionals including traffic signal technicians, computer technicians, engineers, CAD technicians and project managers.
2. Oversee and coordinate field service activities.
3. Oversee and coordinate engineering estimating and the processes which generate cost estimates, wiring diagrams, bills of material, part numbers and any other required configuration documentation.
4. Directly and through subordinates, provide technical support to the sales team, key suppliers and directly to customers.
5. Directly and through subordinates, maintain awareness of and communicate within the organization of developing new technology which supports our mission statement and core customers’ needs.
6. Develop design standards and apply engineering tools which maximize customer satisfaction, design, assembly and service efficiency.
7. Maintain AutoCAD and CREO design software, the plotter and drawing scanner while fully utilizing the design aspects of CSI.
8. Help define and interpret specifications and maintain a library of supplier and competitor specifications.
9. Support the Company growth efforts by providing technical and project management leadership.
10. Prioritize, organize and schedule the flow of work and assign staff accordingly.
11. Develop and administer an annual budget for departmental expenses and capital expenditures.
12. Establish and measure performance expectations and technical certifications for all positions.
13. Establish, measure and communicate company service performance metrics.
14. Identify trends and recommend adjustments to corporate strategy in the marketplace.
15. Identify department needs as new products or special projects are defined.
16. Support the Company growth efforts by providing service leadership.
17. Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in engineering from an accredited university and 5+ year history of supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Must have effective oral and writing communication and presentation skills as well as interpersonal skills.
2. Must have knowledge of strategic planning, fundamentals of electronics, team building, change management, project management, ITS experience, and organizational systems awareness.
3. Must be result-oriented, comfortable taking calculated risks, and willing to hold others accountable.
4. Must be able to take personal responsibility and deal with uncertainty.
5. Must be able to persistent, flexible and innovative.
6. Must be able to resolve conflicts.
7. Must have good decision making skills, excellent judgment, and a leadership presence.
Additional Performance Criteria:
Physical Demands and Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit; talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects or controls. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. On occasion the employee may be required to stoop, bend or reach above the shoulders. The employee should also be able to navigate construction sites.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and ability to adjust focus.
The position is primarily an office-based position located in our Davenport site with periodic visits to the field. The employee occasionally performs work-related travel.