JMI Laboratories, an Element Materials Technology company, is a mid-sized company based in North Liberty, IA. A global leader for twenty years in anti-infectives research, JMI runs the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program that monitors worldwide pathogens and annual changes in resistance patterns. JMI also serves as a clinical and reference laboratory in support of new drug development.
JMI prides itself on its research focus and flexible work culture that nurtures team members who are self-starters eager to learn on the job.
The Laboratory Assistant, under general supervision, provides laboratory testing support to microbiologist/molecular scientists and managers. The position will consist of routine work such as general housekeeping, testing preparation, operation of laboratory equipment, and routine maintenance. Special tasks will be assigned by managers or microbiologists/molecular scientists on a daily basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Process incoming bacterial and fungal specimens, labeling of plates, while complying with laboratory regulatory and safety requirements.
- Perform setups for broth microdilution testing including prepping media, panels and isolates for testing, pipetting and operating auto inoculators.
- Dispense media using aseptic technique for storage of bacterial specimens
- Calibrate, conduct routine maintenance, and troubleshoot laboratory instrumentation.
- DNA Extractions
- PCR or NGS testing setup
- Identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations to the Laboratory Managers for resolution of identified problems/errors.
- Assist with writing and revising laboratory procedures according to CLSI and regulatory guidelines.
Associate degree in a laboratory science field from an accredited college or university or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
This position is an on-site, full-time position in North Liberty, IA.
Hours may include weekend shifts.
JMI Laboratories offers a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes health, dental, vacation, 401(k), and profit sharing.
JMI Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer.
No recruiters or agencies please.