Position Title: Co-Occurring Specialist
Program: Promise Wellness Center
Classification: Non-Exempt, Full Time
Salary range: $28.00/hr - $31.00/hr
Summary and Range of Authority: Promise Wellness Center, is based on a holistic approach to service delivery with an understanding that adults, TAY and older adults with serious mental illness can benefit from linkages to primary care physicians, access to non-traditional and culturally accepted healing communities, family and peer support, culturally appropriate education about mental illness and substance use, employment support services, and skill development.
- Knowledge and experience working with substance abuse and co-occurring mental health conditions
- Assess all clients whose BHA indicates substance use or abuse issues and/or self-identifies as having co-occurring substance abuse during comprehensive assessment.
- Conduct individual sessions to assist clients’ recovery process
- Conducts groups with a focus on substance use recovery
- Provides education and supportive services to individuals and their support systems
- Provides appropriate referrals, linkages and case management to other resources and services
- Ability to work effectively with various referral sources including probation officers;
- May carry a caseload of 30-40 clients that would benefit from increased focus on substance use recovery
- Serves as a member of the multidisciplinary team
- Participates in program planning, treatment and goal development, discharge planning, and clinical meetings
- Uses Motivational Interviewing techniques and able to implement the Stages of Change in treatment/Harm Reduction
- Works well with culturally diverse adult clients
- Has knowledge and experience working with clients who have co-occurring disorders and have ability to collaborate with Clinicians
- Keeps all the assigned documentation in compliance with the applicable standards and requirements.
- Working knowledge/understanding of the current substance use trends and the signs of use.
- Knowledge of CCISC
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum requirements for employment (including linguistic & cultural skills):
- Position requires knowledge and experience of Change Agent Developing Recovery Excellence (CADRE) trained.
- Knowledge and experience relevant to work with individuals with severe mental illness
- Some knowledge and experience regarding community mental health services and social services
- Some knowledge of human behavior, psychology, and cross-cultural and bicultural issues
- Professional demeanor and understand the sensitive nature of client confidentiality in mental health settings
- Competent and comfortable in communicating mental health concepts to different cultures
- Comfortable in discussing issues such as suicide, homicide, domestic violence, trauma and other sensitive issues with clients
- Must be open and able to appropriately share his/her own experiences as a mental health client
- Basic level of computer literacy and experience using office productivity software (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, database, and email programs).
- Will not be debarred or excluded from participation in Federal programs by the General Services Administration and/or the Department of Health and Human Services of the Inspector General
- Must pass background check (Live Scan Fingerprint).
- Must be COVID-19 vaccinated and boosted if applicable or must be eligible for religious or medical exemption
- Must be able to travel to other locations (when needed) for business purposes. If employee drives his/her personal automobile for UPAC business, employee must have valid California driver’s license and comprehensive automobile insurance coverage, as required by law.
- Bilingual/bicultural in threshold language preferred
- Knowledge/use of Cerner EHR
Education & licensing requirements:
- Certified by one of the DHCS-approved certifying organizations or Bachelor’s degree in the human services field plus one year experience working with substance abuse issues & COD issues, and registered by one of DHCS approved certifying organization
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Spends approximately 70% of work time sitting and meeting with others or working at a desk and/or computer. Spends approximately 30% of work time standing or walking within the work area or outside the office at meetings and events, also bends, twists, stoops and reaches. Ability to communicate in writing and verbally. Regularly required to sit and talk or hear. Frequently is required to use hands to touch, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Working conditions are normal for an office environment and event venues. The noise level is usually moderate.