1517 Media is a multimedia company composed of five vital, creative imprints: Broadleaf Books, Beaming Books, Augsburg Fortress, Fortress Press, and Sparkhouse. We create resources for spiritual growth and development, for Christian worship and faith formation, and for academic study and professional development. 1517 Media strives to create an environment of inclusiveness, equity, and respect for all regardless of ability, age, ethnicity, faith, gender, gender identity, nation of origin, race, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status. Individuals who are committed to contributing meaningfully to diversity and inclusion in publishing are encouraged to apply, including members of groups historically underrepresented in publishing (which is - according to industry research – a traditionally white, straight, cisgender, and nondisabled field).
Art Director, Broadleaf Books (Remote/Hybrid Work Model)
We are seeking an experienced Art Director for Broadleaf Books. This role will be part of a creative, fast-paced design group, providing high-quality books for our diverse list of adult trade titles. The Art Director will help lead the creative vision for Broadleaf Books and inspire the designers they work with.
This position is responsible for guiding the work of freelance designers, including soliciting bids, managing contracts, ensuring projects stay on schedule, meet quality and budget needs. This position will facilitate communication during covers review meetings with internal and external clients. In-house design work will include trade book cover design, ARCs, marketing assets, reviewing proofs, and providing advice for production and manufacturing when requested.
The Art Director reports to the Director of Design Resources, and works closely with the editorial, production, manufacturing, marketing, and sales teams. Our work environment promotes career growth, camaraderie, and a healthy work-life balance for all employees.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- Creative and collaborative: Work with editorial, marketing, and sales teams to understand creative intent and help guide design work
- Detail-oriented: Someone who loves to dig into each project to make sure everything is thought out and harmonious
- A clear communicator and great listener who can both give and respond thoughtfully to feedback
- An insightful problem solver, troubleshooting when challenges to quality, cost, or schedule arise
- Self-driven and organized: Managing multiple projects with limited supervision to ensure that all projects are completed within schedule, budget, and quality standards—escalating risks when appropriate
- A collegial team member with a positive attitude
Desired education and experience:
- B.A. in Graphic Design or related field with 7–10 years of experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience directing freelance design work
- A background in publishing and trade book design is preferred
- Strong understanding of typography hierarchy and layout design
- Proficiency on a Mac with Adobe Create Suite and Microsoft Office programs
- Experience working with project management software
- In-depth technical print knowledge
Desired knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Expert skills in Adobe Creative Suite software, with strong emphasis in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Proven ability to deliver timely, high-quality work, and demonstrate strong follow-up on projects
- Manages a high volume of titles with a meticulous attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Manages production timelines, vendor relationships, quality, and cost during the design phase
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to lead meetings with confidence
- Awareness of evolving trends in trade publishing, book design, and book manufacturing
- Ability to thrive in a highly collaborative environment, while managing multiple priorities successfully
Please include your resume, cover letter, references, and portfolio samples with your application.
1517 Media offers a competitive salary and a full list of benefits, including vacation for new employees, sick time, health, retirement, a pre-tax transportation program, paid parental leave and no-cost gym access in the building. You will join a collaborative and creative hybrid work environment, with a talented group of 90 individuals who have a passion for their work. The beautifully designed corporate headquarters is located in the North Loop, Minneapolis with adjacent access to Light Rail and Metro Transit bus lines.