Grand River Navigation Company is the U.S. operating subsidiary of Rand Logistics Corporation. Together with our Canadian sister company, Lower Lakes Towing Ltd., we are one of the largest marine transportation service providers operating on the Great Lakes today. Our Company is the only carrier able to offer domestic port-to-port services in both Canada and the U.S. on the Great Lakes. We are the market leader in the River Class segment.
Our Company has immediate opening for a full-time exempt HR Generalist in the Traverse City, Michigan office. This position is an in-office position, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm with occasional travel for meetings, vessel visits, recruiting events, and misc.
Come join our growing HR Team and grow with us!
Position Purpose: Hire and dispatch merchant seamen to company operated vessels. Dispatches unlicensed crew, cadets, and apprentices a board our 10 Great Lakes Vessels.
Key Job Activities:
- Responsible to ensure the company attracts, hires and retains the best employees, while growing a strong and diverse talent pipeline. Design and implement overall recruiting strategy.
- Develops and updates job descriptions and job specifications, prepares recruitment materials and posts jobs.
- Source and recruit candidates by using databases, social media, and live events.
- Screens candidates resumes and job applications.
- Conducts interviews using various reliable recruiting and selection tools/methods to filter candidates within schedule. Assesses applicants’ relevant knowledge, skills, soft skills, experience, and aptitudes.
- Onboards new employees in order to become fully integrated.
- Monitors and applies HR recruiting best practices.
- Provides analytical and well documented recruiting reports to the rest of the team.
- Acts as a point of contact and builds influential candidate relationships during the selection process.
- Ensures vessels are fully staffed with qualified marine personnel, hiring permanent and temporary relief personnel, maintaining employee lists.
- Maintains employee personnel files and databases.
Scope of Work:
- Continuous operations require vessels that are staffed with mariners that are trained, physically qualified, and documented by the US Coast Guard. This position is responsible for ensuring that vessels are fully staffed with qualified mariners. The complexity of this position includes the hiring and scheduling of 80 to 200 seamen for employment. Also schedules vacation in accordance with union collective bargaining agreements and US Coast Guard regulations.
- This position regularly communicates with union representatives and Vessel Managers. Independently hires and dispatches merchant seamen to company operated vessels. Communicates with vendors such as travel agencies, employment screening contractors, maritime academies, sea schools and industry groups.
- This position has the authority to hire marine employees and approves invoices for various contracted HR services.
- Must be available for duty outside of regular office hours as assigned.
- There are no direct reports to this position.
Key Competencies (non-technical behavioral skills, i.e. presentation, negotiation, customer service skills), in priority order.
- Must be customer oriented, tactful, a problem solver, possess flexibility. Must be detail oriented and possess excellent organizational and time management skills and work with deadlines.
Other (i.e., physical requirements, travel, etc. that is not covered above):
- Frequent travel to hiring venues and academies in the U.S and visits to vessels in the Great Lakes region is also required. Must be able to physically board a vessel using gangways and ladders provided by the vessel. Capacity to learn and use Microsoft Outlook and HR Software.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Requires an associate degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field and 2 or more years’ experience in Human Resources discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Union Shop experience preferred
- Maritime experience preferred
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Must be detail oriented and self-motivated with the ability to research and solve problems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills necessary.
- Proven ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; good presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as HRIS systems (Paylocity preferred or ADP).
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt to constantly changing schedules or needs as required.
- The ability to prioritize and plan tasks and use time efficiently.
- Able to manage and prioritize time commitments in a demanding environment while maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor.
- Must be able to adapt to constantly changing schedules and needs as required.