**Candidate must reside in the state of California**
The Vice President of External Relations is a key leadership position reporting directly to the president and CEO. The Vice President of External Relations will lead initiatives that build and execute brand, strengthen marketing and communication, foster strategic partnerships, and expand relationships with policy makers, industry leaders and other influencers and stakeholders. This position is tasked with promoting PIQE’s public image and advancing its financial sustainability.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Other duties may be assigned.
• Directs the organization's external relations department including oversight of all aspects of internal and external communications, provides leadership and supervision to all department staff.
• Creates and implements public relations, marketing and communications strategies.
• Manages network of strategic partnerships and alliances in support of key priorities including fostering advocacy for research, ideas, products, and programs.
• Develops and directs external communication and marketing strategy to maximize the objectives of the organization.
• Develops and coordinates the production of external communication including the organization's website, e-newsletter, speeches, presentations, annual report, brochures and other electronic and branded materials.
• Collaborates with leadership team to identify internal and external fundraising communication opportunities and develops and executes appropriate strategies to support them
• Develops and implements strategies to build on the organization’s development and fundraising initiatives by ensuring diverse revenue streams, including individual major gifts, foundations and corporations, online programs, events as appropriate
• Serves as the Public Information Officer and provides guidance on policies involving public and media relations.
• Build and foster relationships with partners, colleagues and stakeholders and enhance the organization's public image and brand
• Develops and manages departmental budget
• Provides revenue projections, in partnership with senior leadership, to support the organizational budget
• Works with the executive team to develop the legislative priorities within the organization’s Policy Framework and monitors legislation and government regulations
• Builds strong relationships with management and staff across the organization
• Cultivates productive internal and external relationships across key stakeholder groups
• Uses data, analytics and insights to determine program and initiative success
• Understands and tracks the effectiveness of key marketing and brand initiatives, research and programs/events
• Ensures data-driven evaluations and projections of fundraising goals
• Supports and leads Board member engagement
• Develops statewide and national conference presentations and leads strategic discussions and panel presentations.
• Leads and manages the External Relations team developing work plans and performance objectives aligned to Strategic plan.
Mission-driven and self-directed individual with experience building, developing, and managing agile results-oriented teams
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills
• Dynamic public speaker possessing the ability to communicate with and gain the confidence of people from a variety of sectors and settings
• Minimum 7 years experience working with media, public and/or government officials.
• Strong and innovative leadership skills to influence across functional teams effectively
• Ability to translate strategic plans into specific short and long-term objectives and define metrics and accountabilities
• Proficient organizational and process management skills
• Master's degree (M. A.) in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or equivalent; and 10 or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Prior experience working with or in the nonprofit or education sectors
• Bilingual (English & Spanish) skills