Job Title: Registered Nurse FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Programs Reports to: Director of Nursing/Residence Mgmt
Position Summary: to help the individuals maintain and improve their health status by providing oversight for medical conditions and treatments. To maintain adherence to medical protocols outlined by OPWDD regulations and Mercy Home Policy and Procedures. Represent the Agency by promoting and modeling the mission and core values of the Sisters of Mercy and Mercy Home.
General Purpose: to oversee the health and well being of each individual we serve. Represent the Agency in a positive light, abiding by our mission and core values.
Role Qualifications: Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in New York State, a Valid and Unrestricted NYS Driver’s License and experience working with OPWDD preferred.
• To assess the general health needs of the consumers and effectively communicate to the Primary Physician and Residence with follow up on all recommendations.
• To implement appropriate protective and preventative measures to maintain an environment of wellness.
• To develop a Nursing Plan for an individual when appropriate and to periodically review and update.
• To maintain and update health records as necessary and monitor immunization regimens.
• To arrange clinic referrals, make appointments and accompany consumers to clinics as necessary.
• To supervise AMAP’s administration of medications ensuring all medication are available and stored according to regulations.
• To participate in all reviews, clinician meetings and program meetings as necessary and appropriate.
• To inform the Director of Nursing within 24 hours of any medical incident, ER visit, or hospitalization.
• To order medical supplies as needed, after approval of Director.
• To be available by phone for staff consultation when necessary or to provide coverage for when not reachable. The nurse will determine and instruct when Call-ins are appropriate and necessary
• To provide staff training on:
o Detecting Signs & Symptoms of Illness and any medical problems which warrant Medical or Nursing intervention
o Basic skills required to meet the Health needs of the consumers; oral hygiene; First Aid for accidents and illness.
o Infectious Disease and Infection Control Policy and Procedures
o All topics appropriate for individuals (ex. Seizures, Hypertension AAS, Skin Conditions, Hearing, Vision, Braces, etc.
• Provide medical oversight and treatments as directed.
• Provide supervision and training to all AMAP staff and Direct Support Professionals
• Good communications skills including listening and expressive ability, good writing skills
• Maintain health and wellness while encouraging the independence of the consumer to the highest level of their ability
• Represent the Agency in a positive light, abiding by our mission and core values.
Reporting to this position: all AMAP staff (direct support professionals).
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for long periods of time, bend, climb stairs, crouch/squat, kneel, reach with hands and arms, type, twist, walk, talk, and hear. Speak so that others may understand at normal levels and on the telephone. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items of a reasonable weight.
• Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job the employee will be required to work indoors in a standard
working environment and come in direct contact with all employees and the public. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal to moderate.
Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in New York State, a Valid and Unrestricted NYS Driver’s License and experience working with OPWDD preferred.