Brinkman Construction is 100% Employee Owned and we have an exciting new opportunity for a Safety Specialist to assist with the administration, coordination, monitoring and training of employees across all aspects of Safety for the entire organization.
Along with the Safety Manager, the Safety Specialist will ensure compliance with the Federal and State safety and health standards and regulations. This position will provide necessary support to organizing Companywide Safety Events, internal training, and in conjunction with the HR department, maintain individual training records. Attendance at outside events and seminars will be required to maintain knowledge of current regulations and an effective approach to Safety. The Safety Specialist will accompany the Safety Manager in representing the Company at external Safety related events.
Location: Colorado Front Range - Brinkman Construction is headquartered in Fort Collins, CO and has a secondary office in downtown Denver, with active projects as far south as Colorado Springs and as far north as Cheyenne, WY. This position requires travel to and between multiple work sites.
Reports to: Safety Manager and Director of Field Operations.
Position Type & Expected Work Hours: This is a full-time position requiring occasional evening & weekend hours as necessary.
- Assist with monitoring of jobsite activities for conformance to safety standards
- Ensure employees have a safe working environment
- Authorized to enforce actions necessary to ensure a safe work environment
- Maintain current knowledge of laws and standards affecting safety and environmental law and provide working knowledge and interpretations of the laws and standards to project teams
- Well versed in company safety manual and be a resource to project team and subcontracting partners regarding compliance with the manual
- Assist with making sure the Company Safety Manual is compliant with all applicable standards
- Assist with conducting new hire safety orientation
- Assist with training field supervisors and staff to understand and implement applicable Safety and Environmental Regulations and Standards
- Assist with auditing of Company’s safety performance
- Assist with development of safety-training programs
- Assist Preconstruction, Project Management, and Field Supervision with project planning as related to safety
- Be a resource for reviewing safety manuals and plans provided by Subcontractor’s on jobsites
- Attend preconstruction meetings with subcontractors on an as needed basis. Provide safety agenda and assist in creating job specific safety plans
- Assist in coordination with Project Owner’s Safety Representatives, policies, and procedures
- Assist with administration and updating of accident investigation and with medical and insurance reporting
- In conjunction with payroll and benefits function and Safety Manager, assist with processing Workman’s Compensation claims and managing modified duty provisions
- Assist with coordination and attendance of Insurance Company project inspections
- Active participant of Safety Committee Team
- Coordinate with the Tool and Equipment Manager regarding the purchase and maintenance of safety-related equipment.
- Assist with conducting regular field safety audits and tracking related trends, including providing reporting to the Management team on trends and corrective action plans
- Assist with planning and administration of Company Safety Incentive Program
- Plan and coordinate the annual Company Sub-Contractor Appreciation and Safety Recognition Event
- Will be actively trained by Safety Manager to become an authorized Company spokesperson on OSHA inspections. The Safety Specialist may accompany Safety Manager on accompanying OSHA on inspections, answering OSHA inquiries, recording all conversations, taking photos, and preparing data to be used in the event of the issuance of an OSHA citation
- Assist with keeping of statistical information on all accidents, their investigation and costs, and reporting this information to the Management Team on a timely basis
- Provide information for company newsletter and / or advisory memorandums to supervisors and employees
- Prepare information regarding accident prevention, and distribute safety literature
- Assist with oversight of environmental requirements and procedures of projects
- Basic working knowledge and understanding of OSHA in construction industry
- Basic working knowledge of workers’ compensation and claims management
- 1-3 years’ experience working in a construction and/or safety related environment/industry
- Bachelors’ degree in safety or related field is preferred
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to act with authority and credibility in applicable safety situations with respect, but candidly and clearly enough to ensure understanding and accountability by the affected individuals and teams
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to work independently or with others as necessary
- Must have an acceptable background and motor vehicle record, per company policy
About Our Company:
Based in Fort Collins, CO, and with an office in Denver, Brinkman Construction is a 100% employee owned company. Our team is dedicated to providing clients with the utmost level of knowledge, innovative solutions, hands-on leadership, and predictable results.
Our employee ownership model helps us attract dedicated construction professionals who believe in personal accountability and have a long-term vision for projects. Our industry relationships add value to each project through increased efficiencies and streamlined processes that place the owner’s best interests at the forefront of every decision made.
Our people are at the cornerstone of our success and our workplace is one focused on creativity and collaboration. We are committed to top industry talent who embody our culture and core values and are dedicated to creating opportunities in which every employee contributes to the growth of the organization.
At Brinkman Construction, we work to make our environment and community a better place. To help with this positive impact, every employee is given eight hours of annual paid Volunteer Time Off to volunteer with the organization of their choice. Our Brinkman Giving program allows us to give back to charitable causes that are catalysts for positive solutions and help meet a wide-range of concerns and needs.
Since our founding in 2005, we have been the recipient of such accolades as Best Commercial Builder Runner-Up, Small Business of the Year, Entrepreneur of the Year, Bravo Emerging Entrepreneur, Best Start-Up Company of the Year, and has been named a Mercury 100 Fastest Growing Company for nine consecutive years.
To Build Relationships, Create Opportunities, and Share Success.
Our core values shape our culture, support our vision, and define our character. They are at the center of our team and drive our approach to business and relationships:
Our Benefits Package:
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
8 hours of paid Volunteer Time Off
401k + company match
Comprehensive health insurance
Profit sharing program
Spot bonus program