CLA SoCal seeks an enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and compassionate individual who will thrive in a dynamic and fastpaced public interest law firm. The Staff Attorney reports to the Supervising Attorney and will work as part of the Family Law Unit to assist low-income clients by maintaining caseload of full representation, limited scope, and pro per assistance family law cases including dissolution of marriage, paternity actions, domestic violence proceedings, child custody and visitation, support, and other family law matters.
- Maintain caseload of full representation, limited scope, and pro per assistance family law cases including dissolution of marriage, paternity actions, domestic violence proceedings, child custody and visitation, support, and other family law matters.
- Prepare pleadings, motions, and declarations for family law proceedings.
- Propound and respond to discovery, including taking and defending depositions.
- Negotiate and prepare settlement agreements.
- Maintain detailed and accurate case notes and timekeeping in case management system (LegalServer).
- Interview clients. Effectively and efficiently communicate with clients.
- Engage in case investigation, witness interviews, factual and legal research.
- Juris Doctor degree and an active member in good-standing of the California Bar or member to another state bar and ability to register as a legal services provider.
- Strong personal work ethic, initiative, and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to spot legal issues and comfort with providing real-time counsel & advice.
- Strong interpersonal skill, client communication skills and comfort working with indigent clients.
- Strong technical skills; including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
- Great organizational skills with keen attention to detail.
- Knowledge of family law including, but not limited to, domestic violence proceedings; dissolution of marriage, legal separation, or nullity of marriage litigation; child custody and visitation; child support; spousal support; and modifications of orders- Preferred.
- Experience with law and motion practice – Preferred.
- Experience working with vulnerable populations, survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, or other trauma- Preferred.
- Prior legal services advocacy experience – Preferred.
- Court representation experience – Preferred.
- Bilingual proficiency – Preferred.
What We Offer
Our staff members work 35-hour week, and we offer a flexible and hybrid work schedule. Some positions may work beyond a 35-hour week, including evening and weekend meetings and events, when caseload or other obligations so necessitate. We also offer an outstanding benefit package which includes medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; life insurance with an optional employee buy-in; and short-term and long-term disability. Our employees have access to paid holidays, vacation, personal time, and sick time on their first day. Employee Assistance Program available. Employees who can prove bilingual proficiency are eligible for a monetary bonus.
The position requires working with individuals during moments of extreme stress and instability. The position also requires the provision of culturally sensitive and empathetic services. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment before date of hire. Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
About Community Legal Aid
Community Legal Aid SoCal (CLA SoCal) is a diverse non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the legal needs of low-income residents and seniors throughout Orange and Los Angeles Counties. We focus on removing barriers to equitable access and provide compassionate, high-quality legal aid. Employees are offered professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit.
CLA SoCal is a welcoming, hopeful, anti-racist, anti-sexist, and anti-oppressive organization that celebrates diversity, and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. CLA SoCal seeks to fill all positions with people who share our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We strongly encourage all interested individuals to apply including people of different abilities, religions, identities, , orientations, nationalities, and ethnicities.