Originally opened/posted as Sr. Scientist.
Our Gene Therapy Program aspires to develop single treatment disease cures utilizing Poseida’s best-in-class gene editing tools including piggyBac® and cas-CLOVER™. As an integral participant in this effort, you will utilize your skills as a Nanoparticle Formulation Scientist/Scientist in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of innovative, enthusiastic, and highly self-motivated scientists to discover non-viral nanotechnologies that safely and efficiently deliver nucleic acids to target cells in afflicted patients. Your participation will have a direct impact on Poseida’s efforts to cure challenging diseases, including cancer, by expanding the reach of our platform technologies.
Poseida Therapeutics, is searching for an outstanding Scientist to join our Nanotechnology group in San Diego, CA. This position offers an exciting opportunity to develop non-viral delivery tools for genome editing and gene therapy applications. This person will assist in providing day-to-day leadership of discovery and translational activities directed at the formulation of novel nucleic acid delivery systems and will work collaboratively with internal molecular biology, pharmacology, synthetic chemistry, and process development teams.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as Formulation Lead and LNP Subject Matter Expert (SME) within designated Project or Product Teams
- May supervise a small team of 0-3 Junior Scientist and/or Research Associates or Technicians
- Contribute broadly to public-facing scientific activities, including conference attendance and presentation, manuscript authorship, and Poseida-sponsored events
- Lead lipid nanoparticle (LNP) formulation discovery campaigns directed towards achieving safe and efficacious in vivo delivery of Poseida Therapeutic’s proprietary gene insertion/editing systems
- Work collaboratively with synthetic chemistry, platform, pharmacology, and molecular biology teams to establish feasibility for various novel gene therapy concepts
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Lead DoE-based screening campaigns directed toward discovering LNPs, setting LNP composition specifications, and/or optimizing LNP manufacture and scale-up
- Design, implement, and execute early formulation development activities (cryoprotection, scale-up, etc.) for lipid nanoparticles (LNPs)
- Critically review and analyze data, and communicate results and conclusions; present and defend ideas in cross-functional meetings
- Author study design protocols, technical reports, technology transfer documentation, and contribute to regulatory filings
- Participate in LNP technology transfers to CROs and CMOs.
- Efficiently advance LNPs from discovery to disease related proof-of-concept testing
- Contribute to defining scientific strategies and goals within a Project or Product Team setting.
Requirements, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, or related scientific discipline with 2 plus years of relevant, post-graduate, lipid nanoparticle (LNP) formulation experience
- A minimum of 3-years’ experience in generating LNPs in a preclinical industrial and/or academic setting using state-of-the-art LNP manufacturing methods like advanced microfluidics, T-mixing, and tangential flow filtration (TFF) is a must
- Demonstrated success in bringing formulations from concept to feasibility
- Strong experience in preparing, characterizing, or scaling up LNPs for in vivo applications as demonstrated through publication record, patent filings, and/or work in a relevant drug development setting is required
- Experience using design of experiment (DoE) and relevant statistical software packages (JMP) for formulation discovery is desirable
- Hands-on expertise in basic analytical and biophysical methods used for the characterization of nanoparticle formulations, particularly size, morphology, zeta potential, and nucleic acid encapsulation/release (i.e., DLS, fluorescent assays, HPLC/UPLC, etc.)
- Familiarity with in vivo pharmacology and ADMET concepts as they relate to nucleic acid nanoparticle drugs
- Previous supervisory experience is required for Senior Scientist position
- Must be self-motivated and experienced in optimizing and advancing LNP formulations within a multidisciplinary team environment with scientists and external collaborators
- Excellent written, oral communication, and interpersonal skills
Who We Are and What We Do
Based in San Diego, Poseida Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company utilizing our unique and proprietary genetic engineering platform technologies to create next-generation cell and gene therapies with the capacity to cure. We are passionate about making an impact on patients’ lives with the development of our CAR-T therapies in various cancers and gene therapies for rare diseases. Our goal is to deliver potential single treatment cures for patients in need. Our portfolio of product candidates is specifically designed to overcome the limitations of current generation cell and gene therapeutics.
At Poseida we put people first. Our team is passionate about improving patients’ lives through innovation. See what our team has to say about our culture:
“My favorite part about Poseida is all the people that I get to work with. Everyone is so passionate about what we’re doing here and there’s so much camaraderie. It feels like one big enthusiastic family.”
“My favorite part about working at Poseida is the amazing culture and working environment. Everybody is friendly, professional, collaborative, and has a remarkable can-do and positive attitude.”
As we advance our compelling pipeline, there are endless opportunities for impact and growth. We encourage you to apply today!