This position will be responsible for all aspects of housing compliance including reporting, creation and interpretation of policy and procedures, and conducting and leading on-site file reviews for the FRH portfolio of programs and projects. This position supports the Property Division Director and the CEO with compliance matters by working collaboratively with FRH staff to ensure staff are provided with quality training and partners are satisfied with FRH’s performance. Primary responsibility will be keeping FRH properties and programs in compliance with HUD, IRS (LIHTC), State of Colorado and other agencies/investors. This position is also the primary provider of compliance and property management training for employees.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Monitor tenant files to ensure compliance.
2. Work with compliance contractor and monitor their performance.
3. Review move-out files for proper procedures and timely security deposit reimbursement to tenant.
4. May act as Section 504 Agency Officer or back up existing 504 Officer.
5. Ensure all leases, attachments and any FRH forms are compliant with Federal, State and Local landlord tenant laws, and with HUD requirements.
6. Monitor federal and state laws and other governing regulatory developments related to affordable housing and incorporate changes into policy and procedure if needed.
7. Prepare annual recertification's if necessary (in the absence of manager).
8. Work with contractor regarding submission of monthly vouchers to Tenant Rental Assistance Certifications (TRACS).
9. Actively monitor all relevant agencies for updates and rule changes and provide team with detailed information.
10. Build FRH’s compliance capacity through clear communication, information sharing and mentoring.
11. Review waiting lists of properties for compliance.
12. Conduct periodic and annual on-site file reviews and work with site staff to correct file deficiencies.
13. Verify accuracy of records prior to any file review.
14. Be present for all agencies file reviews and audits.
15. Work with on-site management to correct findings and prepare a response, and jointly create and maintain master calendar to ensure all reporting to the appropriate agencies and/or asset managers is completed and delivered by the required deadline.
16. Review all regulatory agreements prior to acceptance of funds.
17. Provide lease up support as needed.
18. Have knowledge of all Fair Housing Laws and be able to share your knowledge via training.
1. Monitor annual rent & income increase publications and immediately alert the property management team of new rates.
2. Monitor annual utility allowance changes and immediately alert property management team of new rates.
3. Provide support with updating the Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan.
4. Write compliance and in house policies in conjunction with the Director of Housing agency wide consistency.
5. Update all third party verifications to ensure system wide consistency.
6. Provide administrative support to Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) users.
7. Provide administrative support to Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system users.
8. Manage URA consultants and monitoring.
9. Other special projects as assigned.
1. Paralegal or equivalent education in related field.
2. Two years experience practicing compliance with strong knowledge of HUD Section 8 and Tax Credit requirements.
3. Working knowledge/experience with HUD 4350.3 handbook and IRS section 42 compliance.
4. Understanding of basic multifamily property management concepts.
5. Working knowledge of Landlord/Tenant legal principles and Fair Housing policy.
6. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
7. Ability to shift priorities in an atmosphere where interruptions are frequent.
8. Ability to meet all timelines and target dates with complete and accurate reporting.
9. Proficiency with computers (especially Windows and MS Office), and ability to learn property management software (YARDI).
10. Successful completion of Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) or other relevant training.
11. Must successfully pass required background checks prior to an offer of employment.
12. Ability to work independently in addition to working as a member of a team.
13. Demonstrates the necessary attitude, knowledge and skills to deliver culturally competent services and work effectively in multi-cultural situations.
14. Support and uphold the mission, beliefs and values of Foothills Regional Housing.
SUBSTITUTE QUALIFICATIONS: Work in the legal field as a paralegal or other position requiring the ability to read, research and interpret rules and regulations.