Who we are
The Vancouver Housing Authority (VHA) works closely with local governments and other community partners throughout Clark County to address issues of affordable housing and homelessness and help families break the cycle of poverty.
Who we are looking for
The VHA is seeking a Leasing Assistant to welcome residents and visitors to the Vancouver Housing Authority (VHA) managed apartment communities; answers multiple line phone system; answers questions; assists with accessing online applications; provides information materials; and/or directs visitor to appropriate staff member.
What you'll do
- Greets visitors to the VHA-managed apartment communities. Independently and courteously responds to inquiries, assesses needs and either provides information or directs to the appropriate staff member.
- Maintains visitor and caller confidentiality at all times.
- Scans and indexes documents as directed. Photocopies materials as needed for VHA business. Provides requested forms to visitors. Provides forms left by staff for clients and documents needing signatures. Reviews identification as necessary.
- Notarizes documents as needed for Vancouver Housing Authority business.
- Provides information related to low cost housing in the Clark County area.
- Provides paper application and paper update forms to applicants for housing programs that do not utilize online applications. Provides simple assistance filling out forms, looking up information, accessing online applications, accessing Applicant Portal, and other related duties.
- Answers telephone calls for the agency on a multi-line system. Directs calls, takes messages, and makes appropriate referrals. Retrieves messages and responds accordingly within established timeframes.
- Processes incoming mail each day. Sorts and directs to appropriate staff. Prepares outgoing mail for pick-up by mail service each day. Sorts and organizes incoming electronic faxes as directed.
- Receives completed applications, fees, keys and rent payments per established protocol.
- Runs background checks on new applicants and faxes income verifications prepared by Property Manager or Property Assistant.
- Scan and index documents in DocuWare. Maintain destroy dates on boxes of original documents.
- Create, mail and process continued interest waitlist letters for waitlists managed by the property.
- Follow up with applicant or referral via phone when receiving returned mail or no response to draws.
- Assists with scheduling intake and recertification appointments with Property Manager and/or Property Assistant.
- Draft a variety of correspondence including flyers, upcoming events and meetings, lease renewal letters.
- Distribute notices to tenants (either by mail or by posting on door)
- Update Elite with tenant or waitlist applicant telephone number or address changes.
- Assist with issuance and tracking of parking and pet permits, garden space assignments, lockouts.
- Assist with closing work orders.
- Maintains neat, professional appearance of reception and waiting area. Notifies appropriate staff of needed cleaning and repairs.
- Maintains schedule of use for community room. Provides Use Agreement and keys to users outside of VHA. Communicates with outside users regarding rules and requirements for use.
- Consistently complies with position and department safety and attendance standards.
- Establishes and maintains positive, productive relationship with VHA employees, residents/landlords, vendors and other work related contacts.
What we offer
- Starting pay is $2,934.00 - $3,227.00 per month based on experience.
- Full-time, non-exempt, union-represented position working 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Benefits package also includes 10.39% paid into WA PERS by employer, 12 company paid holidays, and generous paid time off accrual.
- Meaningful work that addresses affordable housing and homelessness in our community.
What you'll bring
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Higher level education or vocational training specializing in office skills and/or at least 1 year of office or customer service experience or equivalent required.
- Intermediate computer skills a must.
- Strong working knowledge with Microsoft Excel required.
- Excellent verbal communication skills required to maintain a welcoming and efficient atmosphere at the front desk. Strong interpersonal skills required to communicate effectively with residents, staff, and visitors. Must be able to manage angry residents and residents with communication barriers.
- Previous leasing experience and experience with electronic document storing and retrieval; a plus.
A cover letter and resume are required when applying for this position. For more information on the Vancouver Housing Authority please visit our website at www.vhausa.com. Please note, those candidates deemed to best match our requirements will be contacted for an interview. We do not discuss application status during the selection process. Applications will be reviewed as they come in.
The VHA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with federal, state, and local laws.