Athletic Director / Teacher (Lone Tree, Colorado)
Ascent Classical Academy of Douglas County seeks an athletic director, who may also teach one or more classes depending on interest and expertise, at its growing campus in Lone Tree, Colorado, in the south metropolitan Denver area. At Ascent Classical Academies, teachers create their own lessons within the framework set by our content-rich curriculum, in collaboration with colleagues and in partnership with the Barney Charter School Initiative. Teachers are responsible for mastering the key elements of their instruction, to include explicit phonics, Singapore math, Core Knowledge history and science, and English grammar. Ascent Classical Academies are dedicated to the intellectual and moral betterment of our students and encourage teachers to take their own moral and intellectual improvement seriously as part of a supportive and excellence-driven culture.
The Athletic Director is accountable in the following areas of responsibility:
- Develop and direct the school’s athletics program, ensuring integration with the school’s mission and vision
- In concert with the Dean of Fine Arts and Physical Education, develop and support the school’s K-12 classical physical education program
- Build, maintain, and uphold a school athletics handbook
- In collaboration with the headmaster, develop and manage the athletic department budget, to include revenue from fees and events, and expenses for items such as stipends, team travel, equipment purchases, officials, and facility upkeep
- Maintain and care for athletic department inventory including equipment, uniforms, supplies, etc.
- All aspects of coordination and collaboration with coaches, conferences, leagues, officials and umpires
- Generate enthusiasm about the school’s athletic programming among students, staff, parents, and the community
- Mediate disputes between athletes, parents, and coaches
- Prepare and lead the athletic program to achieve inclusion in the Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA)
- Hire and supervise coaches
- Other administrative responsibilities as needed
- Potentially teach a class (in an area of expertise)
About Ascent Classical Academies
Ascent Classical Academies is a growing K-12 classical school network based in Colorado. Our schools offer an American Classical Education based on the Core Knowledge framework and scope and sequence developed by the Barney Charter School Initiative of Hillsdale College. Ascent Classical schools currently serve approximately 1,700 students in K-12 campuses located in the Denver and Fort Collins areas of Colorado, with significant expansion planned throughout Colorado and beyond. Our schools offer a well-rounded liberal arts and classical education grounded in virtue and supporting the ideas and philosophy behind the American Founding.
Desired Start Date: Immediately
Compensation Range and Particulars: $45,000 to $60,000 annually, depending on experience, qualifications, schedule, and teaching load, if any.
Schedule and Classification: Full-Time Exempt
- Employee-only coverage for group medical, dental, and vision plan; dependent coverage available
- Health savings account with employer contributions
- Short- and long-term disability and life insurance plans
- Retirement investment account with employer match
- Paid time off
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Free employee benefit and healthcare guidance through HealthJoy
- Paid leave for qualifying events under the Family Medical Leave Act and the Colorado Healthy Families and Workplaces Act
- Robust teacher training including several weeks of training on-site and at Hillsdale College in Michigan each summer
Qualified candidates will have a strong background in the subject matter, demonstrate high moral character and embrace the virtues of a democratic society. The successful candidate will also foster professional friendships with faculty and staff, seek collaborative relationships with parents, and mentor students in the pursuit of their own flourishing.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher in physical education or other relevant field
- Eligibility to work in the United States
- After offer is accepted, satisfactory background check as required by state law and Colorado Department of Education
- Conviction in the values of a rigorous liberal arts education
- Loyalty to the school and ACA’s mission and vision
- Commitment to model moral character in line with the school’s core virtues and the pursuit of the Good, True, and Beautiful
- Adherence to all ACA policies, including but not limited to the Employee Handbook, Family Handbook, and all applicable school and board policies