Binary Defense, headquartered in Stow, Ohio, is a rapidly growing cybersecurity software and services firm with solutions that include SOC-as-a-Service, best-in-class Managed Detection & Response software, Security Information & Event Management, Threat Hunting and Counterintelligence. Our expert security staff and technology help shield businesses from cyberattacks.
Named a Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in 2020 and a top 10 software developer in Northeast Ohio by Crain’s, Binary Defense is a fast-paced business that enjoys a relaxed culture, flexible remote work options, as well as generous on-site perks. For the third year in a row, Binary Defense has been recognized as one of the fastest-growing private companies in the US! Ranking at 2,985 on the Inc. 5000 list for 2021, Binary Defense is proud of its position as the only security firm in Ohio to make the list. The company ranks among the top 100 in Ohio for growth, and in the top 25 in the Northeast Ohio region. At the 2021 Greater Cleveland Partnership’s “Best of Tech Awards,” Binary Defense was recognized as the “Tech Company of the Year”, “Best Technology Solution” and “Best Tech Services Company” in Northeast Ohio.
Binary Defense offers competitive medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and dependents, a 401k match which vests every payroll, a flexible and remote friendly work environment, as well as training opportunities to expand your skill set (to name a few!). If you’re interested in joining a growing team with great perks, we encourage you to apply!
About the Role
This role will be critical in helping the organization reach its development roadmap goals and support a product experiencing rapid growth. We are seeking a talented, collaborative, high-energy individual who has deep and diverse technology expertise. The ideal candidate has significant experience building distributed solutions that are of high quality, scalable, reliable, and fast. In addition, this candidate has a history of technical leadership and an ability to mentor junior members within a feature team.
As a remote-friendly team, we default to trust and expect the best from each other. We thrive when we cooperate with each other to deliver timely and effective work. We do our best to help everyone bring their whole selves to work, encourage diversity, and support family-friendliness and flexibility in our schedule.
Effectively collaborate within a product-focused software delivery team to:
· Deliver world-class security products of the highest quality utilizing agile engineering and DevOps practices
· Define, design, estimate, plan, & execute user stories
· Write high-quality, well-tested code
· Develop and integrate changes in multiple projects to provide end-to-end solutions
· Apply technical and customer service skills to solve client problems
· Systematically troubleshoot production issues and deliver timely resolutions
· Continuously improve self, team, and the larger organization, as well as the technology products and the processes for delivering and supporting those products
· Mentor junior members of the team and promote a culture of technical excellence
· Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar degree. Equivalent real-world experience would be acceptable in lieu of degree
· 10+ years of hands-on software development experience
· Experience successfully working with distributed teams
· Successfully worked with teams following a mix of delivery processes (Kanban, Scrum, XP, LeSS, SAFe, etc.)
· Experience using Python for Software Development
· Experience with one of the following languages in a professional capacity:
· Experience doing Windows Application Development
· Experience using the Win32 API from a higher-level language
· Experience using git as a source code management tool
· Experience with incremental delivery of features as part of a Software Development Life Cycle
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Strong communication and collaboration skills
· Agile leadership/mentorship experience
· Ability to imagine yourself in the customer’s shoes
· Working knowledge of agile engineering practices such as CI/CD, automated unit testing, automated acceptance testing, test driven development (TDD), pair programming, feature teams, refactoring, collective code ownership, building in vertical slices, code reviews, etc.
· Technologist - Knowledge and interest in the latest system architecture, automation, cloud, and advanced technology trends with the ability to rapidly learn and apply new technology. Strong ability to share and teach to accelerate the team's adoption of new technologies.
· Calculated Risk Taker - Understands that end user satisfaction is a balance between features, service, and performance.
· Collaborative - Works closely with team members and stakeholders to understand needs, gain perspective, and collectively deliver solutions with a shared purpose.
· Enthusiastic - must be high-energy and a passionate advocate for quickly delivering value.
· Adaptive and Inclusive - works with team members to understand pain points and adjust standards, tools, and best practices accordingly. Learns from the team and adjusts with a focus on enablement.
· Attitude of transparency - must desire to bring disclosure and transparency.
· Creativity, initiative, and flexibility - tempered by pragmatism, patience, and attention to detail.
· Creative problem-solver - Ability to look at solutions in creative and unconventional ways, recognize opportunities to innovate, and engage partners in a vision and strategy while maintaining the "big picture" view
· Commitment to continuous improvement. Ability to dynamically adjust the plan, to resolve impediments as well as to meet changing business needs.
· Accountable - must embody a strong sense of responsibility for the timely completion of tasks, as well as the responsibility to ensure a shared understanding of shared tasks.
· Approaches work with a strong sense of urgency.
· Experience in cybersecurity and intelligence
· Knowledge of application security practices
· Experience leading/mentoring a development team of 5 or more engineers
· Previous experience building applications that are deployed on servers and end user machines
· Knowledge of cloud and container technology (e.g. AWS, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes)
· Experience with Rust, Go, and C++
· Experience with Cython
· Experience with ctypes in Python
· Experience writing PowerShell Scripts
· Experience with creating and maintaining MSIs
· Experience with GitLab
· Experience with VSCode
· Experience with Vagrant
· Experience integrating with Web Applications
· Experience with Windows Code Signing