The Staff Writer will work to tell the important stories of The Wright Centers for Community Health and Graduate Medical Education (TWC). These stories will chronicle TWC’s accomplishments and build name and brand recognition among regional, state and national partners, elected officials, and members of the health care community, as well as the people TWC serves as patients, and residents and fellows.
The Staff Writer works closely with the Executive Director of Marketing & Communications (ED-MarCom) and executive leadership to identify subject matter for feature stories, opinion editorials, round-up stories, and more that can position leadership as experts in their field and be leveraged in regional, state and national media. The Staff Writer studies and remains current on national trends in primary and preventive health care and U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)-funded community health centers so she/he is able to position TWC and appropriate spokesperson(s) as experts on important topics.
The Staff Writer collaborates with members of Marketing & Communications to produce profiles, columns, features and other stories for both internal and external audiences, with a growing emphasis on multimedia storytelling.
The successful candidate will be a lifelong learner who is curious and possesses the ability to produce engaging and relevant stories under tight deadlines. The successful candidate enjoys collaboration with people on various levels of a diverse and growing organization and thrives on a fast-paced work environment.
This position reports to the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications. This position has no direct reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES and FUNCTIONS:
- In collaboration with ED-MarCom, writes executive leadership communications for internal and external audiences
- Works with executive leadership management and creative team to develop various internal and external communication messages and strategies
- Writes and researches on a variety of topics including but not limited to academic research, achievements of faculty and residents and fellows, and other noteworthy accomplishments in Graduate Medical Education
- Creates original and engaging content, upholding department writing style
- Helps develop multimedia news packages for TWC’s website and social media channels, including audio and video interviews
- Manages multiple assignments and projects with various timelines while being flexible in working with deadlines and schedules
- Works closely with executive leadership and ED-MarCom to craft talking points and speeches for interviews, conferences, internal and external communications and more.
- Excellent interpersonal skills that enable productive interactions with individuals and departments across the enterprise to ensure all deliverables are produced with internal, external, regional and national audiences in mind
- Progressive thinker about strategic communication and engagement
- Excellent storyteller, writer and communicator among diverse audiences
- Understands brand experience and its role in colleague communications and consumer marketing
- Increases reach and engagement of internal and external communication campaigns
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Assists with onsite photography or video as needed
- Develops and edits content for print and electronic materials, including newsletters, brochures, flyers, reports, posters, etc.
- A bachelor's degree, preferably in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Advertising or a related field is required.
- 5-8 years of relevant experience is required.
- Knowledge: Experience in writing, formulating copy and editing, preferably in a health care field. Outstanding interviewing, editing and writing skills with the ability to develop interesting content suitable for web and non-web distribution. Proven experience in magazine or newspaper production and/or editing.
- Computer proficiency required including Microsoft and Adobe suite required.
- Strong knowledge of hospital service lines and technologies
- Well-developed proofreading and editing skills. Excellent grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Strategic thinker with solid conceptual abilities.
- Serve as co-editor of the Annual Report
- Collaborate with ED-MarCom to craft talking points, and write speeches and columns for president/CEO
- Identify and develop 2 multimedia campaigns that highlight high-level accomplishments of TWC
- Write five patient/provider stories, each based on respective service lines: Geriatrics/Alzheimer's Dementia; Ryan White HIV/AIDS Clinic; Recovery Services; pediatrics/primary care and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency
- Create an evergreen media kit for Wright Center, explaining the organization(s), that can be digitally added to website newsroom
**Covid-19 Vaccination Required**