The Health Educator will work with the Lifestyle Management Department at TWCCH to coordinate services for patients referred to the department. They will be a liaison between the clinical staff at TWCCH and NEPA AHEC to coordinate educational opportunities offered by NEPA AHEC. The Health Educator will be responsible for the outcomes identified by NEPA AHEC in the delivery of Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs in the counties of Susquehanna, Lackawanna Wayne and Pike and Diabetes Prevention Program in Lackawanna, Susquehanna, Pike and Monroe Counties.
This position reports to the Director of Lifestyle Management and Northeast PA AHEC Executive Director. This position does not have any direct reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES and FUNCTIONS
- Conduct assessments and surveys to determine health education needs
- Develop plans and policies toward achieving health education objectives and monitoring the progress
- Design and distribute health education materials and aids, including pamphlets, notices, video and audio clips, images, and posters
- Facilitate health education events, workshops, conferences, and presentations
- Promote health education initiatives via press releases, media campaigns, social media platforms and websites
- Coordinate all aspects of Lifestyle Medicine appointments
- Prevent the initiation of tobacco use among youth and young adults by assisting with the Youth Tobacco Survey; facilitating Freedom from Smoking Adult Cessation Groups; Train organizations to make referrals to the PA Free Quitline and promote QuitLogix cessation resource website; (FFS facilitator training will be provided)
- Eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke through policy development at worksites and with multi-unit housing providers
- Identify and eliminate tobacco related disparities through advocacy, targeted outreach to disparate populations and chronic disease integration
- Conduct legislative visits to educate on tobacco related initiatives and issues
- Participate in the Northeast Tobacco -Free Coalition be attending quarterly face to face or virtual meetings
- Manage implementation of the CDC’s yearlong Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) in the Northeast region (Lifestyle Coach training will be provided)
- Participate in scheduled monthly technical assistance call’s for DPP Lifestyle Coaches
- Submit all data and reporting in accordance with deadlines given for each program
- Prepare weekly activity reports to be submitted to NEPA AHEC for tobacco and DPP related activities
- May be asked on occasion to work an evening or weekend
- Represent the TWCCH and NEPA AHEC in the community; establish and maintain sound working liaisons with regional and community partners
- Meet with the TWCCH Director of Lifestyle Management and NEPA AHEC Executive Director on a regular basis
- Attend appropriate meetings, trainings and conferences as suggested by the TWCCH and/or NEPA AHEC. Training will include Community Health Worker training, Freedom from Smoking Facilitator training, and Diabetes Prevention Lifestyle Coach Training.
- Health Educator will be eligible for and expected to apply for Certification as a Certified Community Health Worker after one year of employment.
- Other tasks as assigned by TWCCH Director of Lifestyle Management and the NEPA AHEC Executive Director to accomplish the mission, vision and strategic initiatives of the The Wright Center for Community Health and Northeast Pennsylvania AHEC
- A minimum of an earned bachelor’s degree with counseling or health care experience. Advanced educational preparations in tobacco treatment, education, health sciences or related fields a plus
- Relevant experience considered in lieu of advanced degree
- Must not have used tobacco in any form for the past 12 months
- Well-developed communication skills, both written and oral, required
- Computer literacy required. Database and statistical software experience preferred
- Should be flexible and creative, with good time management and problem-solving skills
- Should have good planning and organizational skills, and be able to work independently
- Ability to work cooperatively and to communicate successfully with diverse groups and individual’s necessary
- Must have reliable transportation and willing to travel. Work will be in Lackawanna, Monroe, Pike, Susquehanna, and Wayne Counties.