The position plans, organizes, and supervises the construction plan submittal, approval, and permit issuance process; provides case management of complex building construction applications; supervises and coordinates the provision of efficient and effective service delivery to customers; supervises and directs the work of assigned staff; and performs related duties as assigned.
Works under the direct supervision the Community Development Director.
Supervises the performance of all Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing Inspectors, customer service representatives and Ordinance Enforcement Officers/Rental Housing Inspectors including but not limited to quality control and schedules.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Manages the building department activities and all supporting employees.
· Performs and/or oversees building inspections and technical construction plan reviews for projects.
· Manages and oversees the City’s building construction application approval process, issuance of permits, plan submittals, plan processing, and fee assessment and payment processing in coordination with the Building Official and Director of Community Development.
· Leads, monitors and coordinates the building construction application approval process with internal departments and outside agencies including City Planning Department, City Code Enforcement Department, Engineering, Public Works Department, Police Department, Fire Department, County Health Department, County Soil Erosion, etc.
· Conducts meetings with builders, architects and their technical staff, residents, property owners, staff as appropriate to promote a common understanding of City ordinances and codes.
· Supervises and coordinates the provision of efficient and effective service delivery to customers; handles difficult and complex customer service situations; identify and recommends opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures.
· Ensures timely processing of plans, permits, and applications; manages and coordinates the routing and tracking of plans to various departments and outside agencies for required reviews and clearances; performs follow-up phone calls to ensure timeliness of response from other departments and agencies.
· Provides case management of building construction applications; confers with project owners and design professionals regarding state and local code requirements and obtaining multi-agency application approvals.
· Monitors workflow; reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems and correct deficiencies with assistance from the Building Official.
· Enforces codes and ordinances relating to building, electrical, plumbing, heating, refrigeration and property standards by developing procedures and policy for making inspections to ensure that each of the activities conform to City ordinances and State law.
· Enforces codes and ordinances relating to the use and maintenance of properties including, but not limited to, weeds, housing, building, zoning, refuse, and blight.
· Assists the Director of Community Development with reporting of building construction activities to the Mayor, Deputy Mayor, City Council, and other applicable agencies.
· Recommends, develops and implements goals, objectives, policies and procedures; projects future costs and recommends appropriate fee adjustments.
· Consults with City Attorney and Engineering Consultants and coordinates activities associated with a wide variety of division concerns and activities.
· Assists with the preparation of a proposed budget for the building department division with justification to the Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Finance Director.
· Monitors computer applications and tracking systems (BS&A, etc.); coordinates improvement and upkeep of information systems, databases, scanning and imaging systems.
· Develops, updates and maintains information and educational materials (i.e., pamphlets, blogs, etc.) provided to the public at the front counter and online.
· Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends, innovations and laws affecting the building plan submittal and approval process.
· Composes, types, and edits various correspondence, reports, memoranda, and other material requiring judgment as to content, accuracy, and completeness.
· Attends public meetings and makes presentations to groups when needed.
· Issues tickets to non-compliant residents’/property owners/applicants and completes necessary follow-up with the Court system.
· Mediates due process including, but not limited to, in-person or on-site meetings to resolve disputes.
· Perform related duties as required.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Seven (7) years in the Building Industry in any trade or category.
Three (3) years in a municipal or state building department environment.
Michigan Registered Code Official with the categories of Inspector, Plans Examiner, and Building Official.
Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering, planning, architecture, construction management, or a related field.
Valid state driver's license, or ability to obtain one.