The Controller is responsible for the financial and cost accounting activities of the Company, including but not limited to, the production of accurate financial reports, maintenance of an accurate system of accounting records, and ensuring compliance to government rules and regulations. They will be charged with presenting our financial and cost accounting to our Senior Management, employees, bankers, and our outside accounting firm on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
This person is also responsible for ensuring their department’s team members effectively and efficiently perform all of the administrative work of the business, including AP, AR, Purchasing, Invoicing, Shipping & Receiving, and Inventory Control. Ideally the Controller would also assist and preferably manage the HR Administrator of the company.
This person will be considered a member of the Senior Leadership Team and as such will have a direct impact on the performance and direction of the Company. This person must not only be able to prepare financials according to GAAP principles, but they must also be able to interpret those financials and other reports to make strategic and tactical recommendations to continuously improve the profitability of the business.
The Controller’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing all matters related to financial accounting, including the month-end close, and accurate, timely preparation of our monthly financial reports,
- Developing and completing reports to present accurate Job Costing,
- Preparing our monthly percent of completion calculation including familiarity with long-term construction accounting and related job costing,
- Managing the Administrative team including team members who perform AP, AR, Billing, Purchasing, Shipping & Receiving, and Inventory control,
- Preparing the semi-annual budget for the Company and analyzing our performance against it throughout the year,
- Developing a list of KPIs and presenting them at weekly leadership meetings,
- Managing the preparation of accurate, monthly commission statements for our Sales team,
- Managing our compliance with all regulatory requirements, including paying sales taxes, maintaining various licenses, and abiding by the rules set by all relevant local, state, and federal government authorities,
- Maintaining our accounting system, QuickBooks Enterprise, and all associated software programs,
- Working with our outside CPA to prepare annual reviewed financial statements and tax returns,
- Assisting with the creation of job descriptions, benchmarking compensation, and acting as a key HR contact for all of the company’s team members,
- Acting as our chief financial analyst, responsible for the development and preparation of Excel reports, and other tools for analyzing various aspects of the company’s performance,
- Completing special projects and assisting with strategic planning,
- Meeting deadlines set by the CEO as well as promise-dates which you provide to customers, vendors, colleagues, and others,
- Attending necessary meetings and assisting with the completion of action items assigned to your department,
- Mastering and maintaining the Company’s various software systems. These include Teams, D-Tools, QuickBooks Enterprise, Basecamp, and other software applications as they are adopted,
- Undertaking appropriate training (see below),
- Consistently maintaining a positive attitude and performing as a team player on a day-to-day basis, and
- Regularly contributing ideas, critiques, and input to assist in the continuous improvement of all aspect of LightWerks at all levels.
- Consistently maintaining a positive attitude and performing as a team player on a day-to-day basis.
Requirements: The following skills and qualifications are required to successfully execute this job at LightWerks:
- A Bachelor’s degree in financial Accounting,
- 7+ years of relevant experience working in mid-sized companies ($15 to $50 million in revenue),
- Expert knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP), with experience in percentage of completion accounting, long-term construction accounting,
- Expert knowledge of cost accounting principles,
- Expert knowledge of Excel including pivot tables, v-lookups, and other key analytical tools,
- Intermediate knowledge of QuickBooks Enterprise,
- Demonstrated experience in preparing accurate, timely financial statements,
- Demonstrated success in managing teams consisting of Accounting, Administrative
Desired: The following skills and qualifications are desired, but not strictly required:
- Strong knowledge of relevant software that can work in conjunction with, or parallel to QuickBooks and our other key software platforms,
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment,
- Strong time management and organizational skills, leading to exceptional ability in meeting deadlines,
- Working in the office a minimum of once per week and/OR exceptional ability to work remotely.
- A friendly, effective management style that works well within the existing company culture, including ability to work well in and LEAD teams.
Nice to Haves
- Expertise in Microsoft 365 cloud-based apps including Teams and other key productivity tools,
- Collaborative relationships with outside resources to assist with occasional needs for additional accounting or finance expertise,
- The ability to prioritize workload and able to delegate certain tasks to others,
Time Away from Home:
At LightWerks, we recognize the benefits of – and hence fully embrace – remote work. We also understand that Team Members desire – and deserve – as much flexibility as possible given the specific job duties. Following is what this job requires, relative to:
- Time “In the Office: Preferred 2 to 3 days per week but very flexible.
- Out-of-Town Travel: This job requires little (under 10%) travel, comprised of occasional visits to remote offices, and some attendance at industry or other professional gatherings.
- Some light lifting of objects, reaching, grasping, and carrying activities are required.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Training Path: As part of our commitment to your ongoing career development, LightWerks believes in providing extensive training to all Team Members. Your customized training path benefits our customers, and hence the Company, in many ways, but it also benefits each team member, personally and professionally, in the following ways:
- Industry Training: Industry-related training will allow each team member to understand how LightWerks and they fit into the industry overall, and why/how we provide value to our customers.
- Technical Skills Training: This training will allow each team member to build their technical competence in their specific profession and the role(s) that they take on during their tenure with LightWerks.
- Professional Skills Training: Team members will benefit from professional skills training that is relevant to all professionals and teams. Training will include, but is not limited to, interpersonal skills, time management, etc.
- Safety Training: At LightWerks our policy is, “never do anything unsafe,” so ongoing, appropriate training will be provided to ensure that everyone remains SAFE while working at LightWerks.
To review the training available at LightWerks, please see LightWerks Career Development.docx.
Keys to Success:
- You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the responsibilities and tasks listed in this job description.
- This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or management to perform other instructions and duties.
- Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. This job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason as outlined in the employee manual, and as permitted by applicable law.
- LightWerks promotes and rewards transparent, proactive, and responsive communication (i.e., “Truth Early. Truth Always.”), client-focused behavior, good decision-making, innovation, a bias to action, courage, commitment, integrity, teamwork, the desire to continuously learn and improve, and a passion for success.