Who we are
The Vancouver Housing Authority (VHA) works closely with local governments and other community partners throughout Clark County to address issues of affordable housing and homelessness and help families break the cycle of poverty.
Who we are looking for
The VHA is seeking a Voucher Specialist 1 to perform a variety of administrative and clerical duties in support of the Section 8 Voucher Program requiring close adherence to regulation and established policies. Includes eligibility and income verification, file maintenance, and answering routine tenant inquires. Attention to detail a must to be successful in this position. Applicant should be very organized, with intermediate computer skills to work well in a paperless environment. The position works closely with potential, new, and existing clients; landlords, and the public.
What you'll do
- Requests and receives application and verification documents relating to moves, new admissions, and recertification.
- Manages tenant files to ensure compliance with VHA and HUD standards.
- Reviews status and sends pending termination letters for non-cooperation with certification process.
- Processes routine requests for reasonable accommodation in support of the Federal Program Policy Manager. Refers non-routine requests to appropriate Voucher staff.
- Generates and compiles data for monthly reports to be provided to Voucher Program Director.
- Responds independently and courteously to routine questions and requests from VHA applicants, landlords, staff, and tenants. Within established guidelines, resolves issues or refers to higher level staff.
- Manages notice and outreach waitlist.
- Monitors occupancy and utilization data to manage waitlist draws.
- Provides assistance to applicants in completing application.
- Updates database based on information provided by applicants and tenants.
- Scans and stores documents in DocuWare. Distributes agency mail. Distributes incoming faxes.
- Provides back-up to front desk staff as needed.
- Reviews and processes rent increases and lease renewals.
- Reviews and processes move-in RFTAs. Communicates with landlord’s and property managers regarding paperwork accuracy and inspections.
- Work with property owners and finance to coordinate property owner changes.
- Monitors Applicant and Landlord Portal’s on the VHA website. Reviews incoming messages on the portal’s email. Assists landlords with access.
- Consistently complies with position and department safety and attendance standards.
- Establishes and maintains positive, productive relationships with employees, tenants, landlords, vendors, and other work related contacts.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
What we offer
- Starting pay range is $3,069.00 to $3,375.00 per month based on experience.
- Full-time, non-exempt, union-represented position working 40 hours per week, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- Benefits package also includes 10.39% paid into WA PERS by employer, 12 company paid holidays, and generous paid time off accrual.
- Meaningful work that addresses affordable housing and homelessness in our community.
What you'll bring
- High school diploma required plus some higher level education or vocational training specializing in office skills and/or housing related subject and at least 2 year of directly related experience or equivalent required.
- One year of customer service experience or clerical related experience.
- Demonstrated computer skills necessary to effectively complete duties.
- Ability to attain Section 8 Housing Specialist Certification within 1 year of hire.
- AA preferred.
A cover letter and resume is required. For more information on the Vancouver Housing Authority please visit our website at www.vhausa.com. Please note, those candidates deemed to best match our requirements will be contacted for an interview. We do not discuss application status during the selection process. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
The VHA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as covered veteran in accordance with federal, state, and local laws.