Whisker, formerly known as AutoPets, is the maker of Litter-Robot, Feeder-Robot, and Litterbox.com. At Whisker, we believe pet parenthood can always get better.
As leading innovators in pet tech and refined pet accessories, we work tirelessly to solve problems and deliver smarter insights for pet parents while enriching the lives of pets. Whether it’s a self-cleaning litter box that automates scooping, an automatic feeder that helps pets develop healthier eating habits, or a modern cat tree that delights both humans and felines, we strive to deliver better solutions for consumers while transforming pet care along the way. To us, having a pet is the best thing ever. At Whisker, life together just keeps getting better.
Whisker is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan and Juneau, Wisconsin with 350+ passionate team members.
Whisker is seeking a Senior Product Design Engineer to bring new, innovative pet products to life! The Sr. Product Design Engineer will use their CAD expertise along with strong engineering experience to design, develop and launch connected pet products.
What You’ll Do:
The Senior Product Design Engineer will utilize design experience and intuition to design and develop highly functional and connected pet care products from ideation through launch. This position will diligently work with cross functional team members to ensure cohesive product design that drives the Whisker product roadmap.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designs consumer products and large sub systems from start to finish using CAD/Solid Modeling tools
- Designs pet products with Injection molded plastics, sheet metal and other similar manufacturing processes
- Designs, models, and tests prototypes for new products and concepts
- Completes advanced surface design for new product development
- Utilizes top down modeling and design techniques
- Conducts research and creates design proposals for projects
- Creates concepts, performance, and production criteria
- Produces drawings and specifications
- Creates initial BOM and track costs
- Mentor of best practices, standards and processes
- Will perform additional responsibilities when required
What You’ll Bring:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or other relevant field
- 7+ years experience in product design
- 5+ years experience with injection molded plastics
- 3+ years experience with electronics packaging
- 3+ years experience with motor-driven mechanisms
- Background in consumer plastics product design
- Strong CAD experience with PTC Creo or similar systems
- Proven ability to be creative, agile, and detail oriented
- Proficient in Microsoft’s business suite of software (Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Has been involved in at least one successful new product introduction
- Maintains confidentiality of proprietary information
- Ability to maintain a professional atmosphere in a fast-paced environment with numerous interactions and interruptions
- High degree of initiative, self-motivation and ability to motivate others
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Team Members and colleagues
Not Required but Nice to Have!
- Not required to have pets, but highly recommended!
- PTC Windchill or other PLM
- Google software suite
- A solid model / design skill set test may be asked to complete as part of the interview process.
Benefits & Purrks:
Join a tenacious, inventive company that empowers team members to chart their own path, lead by grounding decisions in the “why”, and has a strong sense of empathy and openness to new perspectives. Be a part of exciting growth, work with incredible people, and create tomorrow’s pet products—plus a whole lot of extras. You will also be provided with:
- Premium Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K with 4% Match
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Top of the line equipment
Statement of Inclusivity:
We believe different perspectives make Whisker better and strive to create a place where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive.