Shift Schedule: Monday-Friday | 6:00am - 2:30pm with a 30 minute lunch
To assist in ensuring continuous operation of water distribution and delivery system by performing basic maintenance duties as required.
Nature of Work
- Repair water line leaks/breaks – main and service
- Repair sewer line leaks/breaks – main and service
- Prevent water contamination during line breaks, proper readings & documentation
- Repair or replace broken meter boxes, lids, meters, meter bottoms, and meter yokes
- Repair, replace, install, both 2- and 3-way fire hydrants on system
- Repair/install flushing hydrants on system
- Move, kill, raise and/or lower ¾” to 1” water taps
- Install new water taps ¾” to 2”
- Repair, replace and/or install both above and underground blow-offs ¾”, 1”, 2”
- Locate, spot valves, main lines, service lines, meters & sewer lines
- Install, repair or change-out valves, air relief valves, caps, tees, clamps, sleeves, saddles
- Replace existing service lines by cable pull or directional bore
- Flush water lines and hydrants and complete appropriate paperwork
- Repair yards when applicable due to water line installation or repair
- Patch roads or driveways due to repairs
- Thaw frozen water lines
- Basic operation of heavy equipment
- Heavy physical labor
- General maintenance on equipment, vehicles & tools
- Emergency duty or on call responsibility
- Other duties as assigned
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:Must live within a 45-minute response time to Consolidated Utility District’s main office and maintain that residency status as a condition of their employment.
KNOWLEDGE/EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum three-years underground utility experience or civil site construction work preferred
- State of TN Water Distribution System Operator Grade II Certificate of Competency or ability to obtain.
- Valid Class A CDL with airbrakes or ability to obtain & safe driving record
- Good knowledge of Rutherford County
- Operate a wide range of equipment and hand and air tools
- Basic tool, equipment, and vehicle maintenance
- Beginner computer skill level
- Ability to read and understand construction plans
- Need to distinguish between shades of color
- Must have initiative and be resourceful in problem solving
- Must be able to communicate with persons of all economic and education levels
- Should be detailed oriented, able to focus on task-at-hand.
- Aptitude for following all OSHA Safety guidelines
- Work is mostly in the field in a variety of settings and weather conditions
Intermittently sitting, standing stooping, bending, or crouching. Frequently entering/ exiting vehicle, Frequent lifting of objects weighing 25 to 50 pounds, climbing fences/ ladders, use of tools or equipment requiring a high degree of expertise. Heavy physical labor.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is primarily performed in a field setting with exposure to loud noise, outside elements, dust, dirt, grease, etc. Hazards: Work frequently near moving mechanical parts. Exposure to irritating chemicals.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.