Summary: Fields Corner Crossroads Collaborative (FCCC) seeks young people to join a new youth council to help create a vision for Fields Corner! The youth council will develop their individual leadership skills, strengthen the Fields Corner community, increase youth communication with municipal leaders, provide insight into youth issues, and train peers. The Crossroads Youth Council is a group of 8-12 youth (15-18 years old) led by the FCCC youth coordinator and project director. The peer leaders (19-25 years old) will work closely with the youth coordinator and two other peer leaders to help guide and lead the youth members.
What is Fields Corner Crossroads Collaborative: This Children’s Health Equity (CHEq) grant-funded organization is sponsored by the Fields Corner Crossroads Collaborative. The FCCC youth council will work closely with the youth and civic engagement programs at MassCOSH, DotHouse Health, Asian American Resource Workers, VietAID, New England United for Justice, Louis Brown Peace Institute, DotHouse Health, Boys and Girls Club of Dorchester, and All Dorchester Sports and Leadership. The requirements will be 25 hours a week during the summer and 10 hours during the school year. This position is funded through Sucesslink.
Fields Corner Crossroads is fiscally sponsored by Dot House health.
Dot House’s mission is to: 1) be an essential resource for our community in its efforts to achieve the highest levels of health, well-being, and quality of life for its residents; 2) provide affordable, accessible, and exceptional health care and other essential services in an environment that respects our consumers, our staff and our diverse community; and 3) be a leading force for change in the health, economic and social status of our community.
What you will be doing:
- Attend and participate in Youth Council Meetings
- Meet, discuss, plan, and implement youth-led activities with the support of the youth coordinator and project director
- Work with youth coordinators and partner organizations on storytelling initiatives
- Increasing civic engagement and community advocacy within self and peers, through door knocking, training, and tabling at community events
- Advocating for youth needs in Fields Corner
- Implementation of youth team projects, including a $100,000 Participatory Budget in collaboration with the youth council, coordinator, and Director
What you will get out of the experience:
- Develop workforce skills
- Raise youth-related issues with community members
- Prioritize social change and justice
- Learn more about the civic process, inequalities, participatory budgeting, and more
- Building youth power in Fields Corner
Tentative Fall Schedule:
Tuesdays - 3 - 6:30 PM
Wednesdays - 3 - 6 PM
Thursdays - 3 - 6:30 PM
- Must be between the ages of 15-22 years old.
- Must have a connection to Fields Corner.