About the Organization
Canal Alliance exists to break the generational cycle of poverty for Latino immigrants and their families by lifting barriers to their success.
Canal Alliance is a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment. Every day, we educate, empower, support, and partner with motivated immigrants to best meet all their unique needs—from putting food on the table, to becoming American citizens, to learning English, to graduating from college.
Canal Alliance strives for a trauma-informed collaborative and inclusive culture. We invest in high quality services, professional development, and work-life balance.
The outreach coordinator offers presentations to individuals in the community on their rights and current immigration law and policy topics, with the purpose of empowering our immigrant community while also collaborating with other legal or non-legal service providers in the community to share information and organize trainings. The outreach coordinator will work in a collaborative and trauma informed environment delivering high quality service. This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The outreach coordinator reports to the managing attorney.
• Communicate and meet regularly with community partners, health centers, school districts and colleges, to coordinate Conduct Know-Your-Rights (KYR) presentations and legal screenings
• Collaborate with other legal or non-legal service providers in the community to share information and organize trainings
• Offer KYR presentations to individuals in the community on their rights, current immigration law and policy topics, with the purpose of empowering our immigrant community
• After proper training, conduct intake and screenings to identify potential immigration legal remedies and make appropriate referrals
• Coordinate with pro bono attorneys and volunteers to organize legal clinics and other community events.
• Prepare written materials and presentations on KYR and other legal resources
• Work with our marketing department to promote upcoming events, inform about potential changes in immigration law, and share positive stories using social media
• Assist managing attorney with reporting for outreach activities
• Bilingual -English and Spanish- fluency
• Minimum of 1 year of experience in immigration law
• Proficient in PowerPoint and Canvas
• Access to a car, valid driver’s license and insurance, and ability to travel mostly within Marin County
• Willingness to work flexible hours; evenings and occasionally weekends
• Comfortable with public speaking and willingness to conduct training and outreach activities in the community
• Able to sit for an extended period of time and sufficient mobility to work in standard office/courtroom settings
• Canal Alliance requires all staff be COVID vaccinated with the exception of those who have medical or religious beliefs exemptions
• Willingness to obtain DOJ accreditation within the first year
• Proficiency in other Microsoft and Google-based tools
• Experience working with low-income, immigrant, and monolingual Spanish-speaking communities
• Well organized, highly motivated, able to handle multiple tasks at once, work well under pressure, and take initiative
• Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and excel in working individually/remotely as well as in a team setting
• Commitment to serving immigrants and sensitivity to the needs of low-income, vulnerable clients
• Experience working with LawLogix or other legal case management software
This is a full-time, non- exempt position with benefits, starting at $27/hr. We offer a competitive salary with a benefits package that includes 3 weeks paid vacation a year, 12 days of sick leave a year and 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance as well as long term disability and an employee assistance program. In addition, there are 16 paid holidays annually, a 403(b)-retirement plan and a Flex cafeteria plan.
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees. By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect. Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
Please email your resume and cover letterto HR@canalalliance.org and answer the following questions in your cover letter or body of email: 1. Why do you want to work at Canal Alliance? 2. Please describe yourimmigration law experience 3. How did you gain your Spanish fluency? Only electronic applications will be accepted. (Keep it green!) Please indicate “Outreach Coordinator – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of your email.